Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oregano

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been growing my own oregano for a few years now, but I not sure if the blossoms can be used in cooking. They hold so much fragrance and taste good, but I'm just not sure. Anybody an expert on oregano(not the stuff that folks try to pass off as oregano :whistle: )?
Thanks In advance(I hope)!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    No advice on oregano but how did the fig picking go? Did you get enough? Ours still aren't ready yet.... :angry:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't think they would be bad for you. Try some and give to a neighbor to sample. I don't smoke, but have been using the flower petals off my purple basil for years and love them.

100_2240.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've got oregano too. Haven't thought to try the flowers. Have eaten marjoram flowers, which is sometimes called sweet oregano. Also eat mint and thyme flowers. Tried sage, and they were to hard, sort of woody. I'd try a bit, myself.

Ah, wait, !google!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

Yup, they're O.K.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Hi Kim! It was great seeing Rusty Rooster again! The fig picking went pretty good. A lot of them still need to ripen a bit. Most floated when I went to clean them. The ones that sank were super sweet. The floaters are good but just don't have as much flavor. I may try to swing back next week when they are more ripe(if they are still there and available). I don't think I'll have enough for jelly this round but maybe next week. I'll prolly stuff some with bleu cheese and feta and wrap with prosciutto and then cook on the egg. Like the pics below:
    DSCI0006-16.jpg

DSCI0016-4.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    for herbs, the whole thing is edible, flowers too

mint flowers are always a cool mojito garnish

we have pansies in the garden, and the other day served a salad of mixed greens (we got them at the store actually), and topped it with pansies and even some dandelion leaves from between the bricks on the patio.

one of the guests refused to believe we'd served (so-called) "weeds" from between the patio bricks. i kept saying "seriously..." and he'd just laugh. they were small and frsh, and cleaned of course.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Options
    Thanks Jeff, I'm sending my boys out to weed! How does that saying go," Leaves of three, use a strong vingarette"? :woohoo:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    mmmm....lawn mower clippings :laugh: we get some kind of a grass shaped like an arrow at camp, great in salads as i need something to replace the lettuce, no lettuce in this house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Options
    Great article. Thanks! I like the way it breaks them all down. I may have to start incorporating more flowers into my food.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Uh-oh, the neighbor is starting to twitch....wait..he likes it, he really likes it! :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just don't use any chemicals on your lawn and you will be fine. i find the big leaves to be bitter.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante