Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs Question...

Options
YetiBob
YetiBob Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been egging for a while now.... I need some refinement.

Do you use a rib rack and cut up your ribs or do you just lay them flat and leave them alone?

When I buy babybacks at Costco they come in a pack of three WONDERFUL racks. I have a Large that I use for my ribs but find it kind of hard to work three racks on the single level. One rack always seems to suffer. I know i could do a raised grate and put one up high, but i think I would need to do a fair amount of rotating to get them even.

Does cutting them up and putting them in a vertical rack work the best or should I rotate on a raised or single to stop from sacraficing a rack to the gods?

I APPRECIATE any thoughts as do my neighbors (the more I make the more THEY eat)
In Maryland

Comments

• porterhouse64
    Options
    A rib rack might be the easiest.

You can cut each rack in half and do them vertical.

I have a XL and can do 3 racks flat and elevated. :)
    steak+002.JPG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Vertical racks work O.K., but ribs laid flat always seem to come out just a little better. Also vastly easier to sauce at the end, if saucing. Still, whenever I need to do a bunch, I do them vertical, and use skewers to make sure the pieces don't lean into each other.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Any way you want to cook them.. Some folks use racks, some don't. Some trim them some don't.

I do them indirect and never lost a rack yet.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    flat gives them a nicer appearance, im not too worried about that :laugh: do what you have to do to get them in there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have done it both ways and really don't have a preference. If want to make sure the last few ribs (the ones that hang over the plate setter) don't burn cut them in 1/2 and use a V-Rack.

Mike
  • safetyman
    safetyman Posts: 80
    Options
    I have a large and use an adjustable rig. I buy my ribs at Costco and do 6 slabs at a time flat on the grate and they come out great. When I first put them on I kind of bend them to the contour of the grate and put the largest slabs in the center. I like them better paid down rather than in a rack.