Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humongus Pork Loin

Options
dayzed&confused
dayzed&confused Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yea, I can post pictures now! I was at HEB today and found about 100 big pork loins for $1.00 a pound, limit 2. So I bought 2. I might go back and get 2 more. Anyway, I froze one and this is a picture of the other one cut in half, about 4 pounds a piece.
One piece is rubed in Jamacian Firewalk, and the other is rubed in Shakin' The Tree, both rubs made by Dizzy Pig. I'm going to let them stay in the fridge until tommrow, then I gonna cook'um, then I'm gonna eat'um.
This my first attempt at pork loin. I plan to start out at 225 for 1 hour with heavy smoke, then bump it up to 350 until I get 150 internal temp. What'd'ya think?

MVC-248F.jpg
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.Don't go too heavy on the smoke unless you really like smokey food.I would pull no higher than 145.Personally I would pull at 135-140 wrap and rest it.That is up to you.Great find.Gook luck! :)
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I'll try 140 on one, but I got to go at least 150 on one or mama won't eat it, says its too rare. I got nothin else to do since I had shoulder surgery last week so I'll post pictures and updates as it goes along.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    dayzed&confused -

I'll cook them to 155 or so if they are going to be for sandwiches and the like and 145 if it is going straight to the table or for recooking, as in Canadian bacon.

These loin deals have become a staple around here. We'll get a couple at Costco, brine, season, and cook them, then carve them into thirds. Freeze two, and start eating the first one.

Bob V
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nice choice of rubs Melvin! Thanks for sprinkling our stuff on your meat.

Personally, I'd skip the heavy smoke and cook them direct on a raised grate at 275-300 until well browned all around and 140 internal.

Or just do what you said, but lighten up on the heavy smoke. Sometime I cut them into pieces. I did a little ditty about the way I cook them years back. Here's the link. http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPorkLoin.html

Whatever you do, enjoy!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    Everybody is saying to lighten up on the smoke so maybe I better lighten up on the smoke. Also, something has come up and I may not be able to cook until late tommrow but I will still post pictures and give a play by play.
    San Angelo, texas