Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza's & Nomex Update

Options
tbonemac
tbonemac Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I installed my nomex gasket a little over 2 weeks ago. During the 2 weeks there was an overnight cook and a lot of small cooks that included direct and indirect cooks under 400 temperature.
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=676179&catid=1

This weekend was time to cook 4 pizza's, 1 bought pizza, (2) bought crusts with the fixin's and (1) from scratch. This was my 1st "from scratch" pizza.
I was pleased with the results of all 4.
The From Scratch results with paper under the crust. Thanks for that tip. It worked out great.
img429.jpg

1 of the bought crust results with pepperoni, mozz and cheddar.
img430.jpg

Sorry I forgot to take pics of the crust, but all 4 had the crust just perfect. A little brown and crispy.

After the cook I thought I would give the nomex gasket a good inspection to see how it handled the heat for an extended high heat cook. I am very pleased that it held up just fine. This was on a medium, with platesetter legs up and the stone sitting right on the legs. You can see the start/stop of the gasket at the 10 o clock position.

img431.jpg

Comments

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    What temp did you cook the pizzas? Gasket still looks perfect to me. I've been delaying putting mine on since I do a lot of pizzas and high-temp cooks, but if it'll hold up, then I'll make sure to do it soon.
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    The 1st pizza went on at 425 dome. Each pizza cooked about 12-15 minutes. The last pizza the dome had climbed to 440 and I closed the vents a little.

In the link of the message was the steps I went thru with the replacement. I now know that my lid was not aligned very well with my old gasket. I will be keeping a good check here on out with the dollar bill test.