Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 hour Brisket

SeattleQ
SeattleQ Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I did my first brisket on the egg, an 8 pounder. I started it at midnight last night thinking 1.5 hours per pound, maybe a little more at 250 Dome temp, 225 grid temp. when I went to bed at 1:30am it was already reading 145, I was thinking this was the plateau and that it would stall for a long awhile. At 2:30am my remote temp gauge started beeping saying it was at 190? I ignored it and checked back at 5:30am. Dome temp was down to 150 and Brisket was at 146. I opened the vents and got it going again at 250 dome, back to bed. An hour and fifteen later when I checked it was at 195, dome temp 350. Turned it back down to 225 and 30 minutes later pulled it at 205, that was 8:30am. I triple wrapped it in foil and wrapped it in a towel. Since we are not eating until 3pm I am keeping it warm in the oven at 170 turning the oven off and on once an hour. I think it should be ok but I am confused about the fast cook time, anyone have any input about my cook or how long the brisket can wait in the foil? I will let you know how it turns out.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Was it a flat or whole brisket?

Does your remote have dual probes?

190° at 2:30 am if it was the pit, it needed to be looked at. If it was the meat you were close to being done with the cook.

If meat 190° at 2:30 then 146° at 5:30, then 205° at 8:30 it would seem you cooked cooled then reheated and are now keeping it warm.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

You just might want to cut a slice before you leave to take the brisket to serve it - just to be safe.

GG
  • SeattleQ
    SeattleQ Posts: 20
    Just back from the family get together and the brisket was a hit, sure th ends were a little dry but still full of flavor, the middle was tender a juicy. I am not saying that I would be winning any contests but not a bad showing for my first brisket rodeo:-). I served it either alone or with white bread burger buns with a spicy BBQ sauce. To answer your question, it was a flat brisket about 1 1/2 inches at it's thickest, this is probably the reason for the short cook time. How thick is a full brisket?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    check your email.

GG