Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pick only one--Your absolute favorite

Eggs-oteric
Eggs-oteric Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you had to pick just one thing you cook on your egg that is your favorite, your go to, the absolute best thing you cook---what would it be?

If possible, please also include the recipe or a link to it if it is elsewhere on this forum/the web.

Just have my egg for a month or two so still trying lots of things---my best thus far might be a sweet chili glazed pork tenderloin with a grilled pineapple salsa. I will post that recipe in a bit.

Thanks!!!

ET

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    The VERY FIRST thing I did on my large was this recipe that I found before I even bought it. I still do it at least a couple of time a month. I've always been a beef guy, but this is one of my favorite things to do.

This is the Naked Whiz's recipe.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    In the poultry category:

Cornish, Game Hens, Stuffed, Richard Fl

100_2134.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Whole Cornish Game Hens
    OR
    6-8 Whole Quail
    Stuffing
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Pecans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    Wrap
    4-6 Pieces Bacon
    SAUCE
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Procedure:
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff cornish game hens, works well w/quail. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Optional for game hens:
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.

100_2129.jpg

3 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.
    Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    Side Dishes:
    1 Grilled Asparagus & Oyster Mushrooms w/ Italian Dressing to grill.
    Portions:
    1 1/2 Cornish or 2-3 Quail per person.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/02/27
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if i had to pick only one it would be paella... when i don't screw it up

on_thr_fire.jpg

or, well. steak hahaha

45-day dry aged...
    holycow.jpg

strip on greens with balsamic v. and truffle oil, topped with shaved parm. this is an old pic from last summer, but we had this last night

strip.jpg

no. um. or maybe pizza. easily once a week

Red_Onion_Pizza.jpg

crust.jpg

blueo cheese and buffalo chicken pizza. this shizznit is to die for. ...can do it with shrimp too

halfbleuhalfmozzbuffalo.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    There are more than one question here.

My favorite cook to eat is brisket, and the associated burnt ends.

My favorite cook to serve to a group of friends is paella.

My "go to" cook is ribs and/or wings.

As for the best thing I've ever cooked, I honestly don't think I can answer that because it is such a subjective question based on overall mood and the crowd for which I am cooking.
  • FSUScotsman
    OH!!! Those look good!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    it would depend on the size of the crowd! if it were for ten or more it would be pulled pork

because it is always easy to get alot on the egg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

04-05-2008005.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

if it is smaller say 8-10 i would work at doing more than one course

like an appetizer
    th_03-21-20091.jpg

and a stuffed tenderloin
    2008-5-11011.jpg

or a main course

th_101_0369.jpg

and dessert

eggin003.jpg

Bananas Foster

Ingredients
    4 bananas, ripe, but not over-ripe (I used 6 per pan at the EGGtoberfest)
    1/2 stick butter
    6 Tbs packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup at EGGtoberfest)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon at EGGtoberfest)
    2 oz 151 proof rum
    vanilla ice cream

Procedure
    1 Get everything ready because it goes pretty quick once you get started...
    2 Peel and half the bananas lengthwise (i cut them the other way at eggtoberfest and usually do because there is more surface area to hold onto the sauce and it's easier to stir them... Your choice really)
    3 Heat cast iron skillet over high heat till smoking.
    4 Put butter in pan. It should melt and start to brown quickly.
    5 Add brown sugar and stir to form a caramel-like sauce that bubbles quickly such that when you stop stirring, it "foams" quickly.
    6 Add cinnamon and stir.
    7 I do this part a little different than Mario... Add bananas and stir to coat with sauce and let cook for no more than two minutes.
    8 Add 151 rum carefully!! and dribble the last drops into the fire so it ignites. (Mario adds the rum first before the bananas)
    9 If rum doesn't light, use a long lighter and be ready to jerk your arm back! (you might have observed a little singeing on my arm hair at EGGtoberfest)
    10 Once the flames die off, about 30 seconds, take off heat and serve with vanilla ice cream (i used light whipped cream at EGGtoberfest)
    11 Be very careful with the rum cause it will burn you! and that's the last thing I need to be reading on the forum.
    12 Do not let the butter and sugar cook for too long as it will burn and taste like it.
    13 Enjoy and be careful! If you are not comfortable with fire and flaming alcohol, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

Recipe Source
    Author: Mario Batali - from his 'Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style' cookbook.

Source: Rick's Tropical Delight (recipe and pictures)

eggin008.jpg

but if it is just me chedder stuffed bacon wrapped knockworst

DSCN0315.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• It's kinda like asking which of your kids are your favorite. There are seaux many categories/variables like smoking, grillin, bakin, beef, pork, seafood, etc.

Nailing me down to just one - I would geaux with wibbies but I like all the other answers as well.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Only one?? Man, that a toughie. Favorite this month would be much easier......

DSC06280JPGajpgbbjpgbbbbb.jpg

UltimateThrowdownA.jpg

I guess it could be ribs, although on any given day most any chicken is always good, and I'm a sucker for pastrami.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Thank You! I actually prefer stuffed quail, but they are a pain in $%^& to stuff and wrap.

QUAIL1.jpg
  • FSUScotsman
    My lady would NEVER eat them. All I would hear would be how cute they used to be. You wouldn't believe what I go through to get her to eat the stuff I egg sometimes. :blink:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Those RIBS looks good. They are not sauced, are they ? Nice and juicy I bet.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    That stuffed tenderloin looks mighty tasty.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Right. No Sauce, and the only tools you need to eat them are the ones at the end of your arms.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Anything crab stuffed, but Prawns are my favorite. Would love to do about a 100 of these at an eggfest, but the prep and cook time is all day for that many.

cbshrimp1002.jpg

Mike
    PS. I Hate baby back ribs.
  • Richard Fl
    does she ever go on a mini vacation for a few days without you?
  • FSUScotsman
    LOL!!! Not often. She's going to see her parents in a few days. GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks here is the recepie

Pork, Tenderloin, Stuffed, Tomato, TB

i seen this recepie on the bge forum and decided to try it myself.. i have changed it after i made it and have added the changes here.....

2 Pork Tenderloins Butterflied
    1 bag Spinach
    4 slices cheddar/swiss cheese
    1/2 9 oz jar sundried tomato paste
    4 tbs Water
    butchers twine
    a few shakes of your favorite rub

1 pork tenderloins do not come butterflied so you will have to that on your own.. it is very easy after you do it. it is a little intimidating if you have never done it.... after you butterfly them place in zip top bag and beat flat with a mallet or a heavy saute' pan. just make sure you do not beat them too thin and end up tearing them
    2 put 4 tbs of water into a big shallow pan. bring to a boil. add your bag of spinach and turn until it is all wilted.. remove from the pan and put in a tee towel... squeeze out as much moisture as you can... move spinach to cutting board and chop up... i used frozen spinach for eggtoberfest 08. just followed bag directions but when i got it out of the microwave i placed it in a tee towel and squeezed as much water out as i could
    3 lay out your tenderloins on your cutting board and shake some of your favorite rub (i use dizzy pig)
    4 layer in the cheese
    5 using a spoon spread the sundried tomato paste over the tenderloins.. if you buy sundried tomatoes and want to stretch them just add some regular tomato paste. it works very well.. just watch your moisture content..
    6 last add your chopped spinach
    7 tie up using the butchers twine.. if you are bad at tying knots just use bamboo skewers that might work also
    8 sprinkle the outside with some more of your rub
    9 place tenderloins on a 400 degree egg until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees
    10 place on your cleaned cutting board covered with foil for 5-10 min
    11 pull off your butchers twine or pull out skewers
    12 slice.
    13 enjoy

Recipe Source
    Author: T.Bente

Source: originally on BGE Forum

as i said i have made some changes from the original recepie which i copied from supermarket. com which vienna jack pointed me toward

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I would say pizza is the most wow but there are many, many seconds.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I'd have to say spares:

DSC01061.jpg

Nothing too special, just yellow mustard, JH Pecan rub, cherry smoke and either Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog sauce. Mad Max Turkey is spectacularly good, too:

DSC01181.jpg
  • One food? Spatchcock chicken-great fresh off the grill, the leftover- if any are great reheated, put into chicken enchiladas, on salads, tortilla soup...