Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone used an electric burner in their egg?

finaltable
finaltable Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a very old egg, one of the earliest orange terracotta models that is decades old. I have found it very difficult to maintain the low (200-225 degree) temps I need to cook ribs and brisket due to leaks; in fact, when I do a long cook of a brisket or turkey I end up having duct tape all over it to seal the air holes. I recently saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown wherein he made his own "egg" from terracotta flower pots and used a single element electric burner to heat it. Using the variable control he could maintain a low temperature and didn't have to worry about regulating airflow. He put a heavy metal pie pan on the burner and threw in a few chunks of wood that would smoulder and smoke the meat he was cooking.

I'm not giving up on lump charcoal for most of my cooks but I wish I could get a little lower for the really long cooks, especially the turkey.

Has anyone tried using an electric element in their egg?

Comments