Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help please GG pot roast

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pot roast in DO indirect or direct?

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    I do plate setter legs up, grid and DO on grid. Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    either way works, for indirect you need a space between the stone and pot. the important thing is to keep a low simmer, adjust for that. my indirects seem to simmer around 320 nicely, with a direct setup that temp will be lower. wear gloves, you can get a nasty steam burn opening a lid with all that liquid simmering away ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Ron, You can do it either way. I have had great success using my spider for DO cooks as well. You can put the DO directly on the coals to sear your meat, though you will need a welders glove or very long tongs. As long as the DO is a few inches off the coals for the balance of the cook, you will be fine, even direct. Just watch your liquids.
    Good luck!
  • Egmont Key
    Thanks Guys and Gals.
    Yall are great!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

All good advice above.

I use the spider normal position for searing then flip the spider ring to inverted for the roast.

There isn't going to be any favor difference using a plate setter (indirect) or spider direct. The Cast Iron is what shields the cook.

Putting the DO right on the lump is fine just make sure you don't burn the food. I am not sure about keeping the liquid at a simmer when down on the lump. It is easy enough to test.

I leave the DO off of the DO during the entire cook, however, I have been wondering about putting the lid on about half way through the simmer.

One thing, watch the liquid level and add the stock if the level gets low.

Here is the link to the original post.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=473938&catid=1

The recipe is also in the recipe section, but the formatting over there isn't all that great.

GG
  • Egmont Key
    The DO I have has legs and I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    I used platesetter legs uo with DO setting on that. It came out wonderful and is almost gone now. Will post pics Friday in new thread. Thanks again to all
    Ron
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Glad you liked it. That is the problem, the food goes quick. It makes great second day sandwiches or even french dip sandwich.

The only difference the camp fire DO's (with legs) have is they are a pain to put on the egg grid.

GG