Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin Bacon...

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made my first Buckboard Bacon, thanks to all the great instructions I received from Thirdeye's website and also Pork Butt Mike. It was easy and came out great.

First, cured 2 8lb. pork butts in Hi Mountain Cure for 10 days, in ziploc bags, in a 40 degree fridge, turning over every other day:

P7100824.jpg

After the 10 day cure, I rinsed in water for 6 hours and let it sit in the fridge on a rack overnight. I rubbed them liberally with Dizzy Pig Ragin River (not in Thirdey's instructions)

P7120833.jpg

On the egg they go for 3 hours at 225 dome with hickory

P7120835.jpg

I let them get to 150 degrees internal, which took 3 hours exactly. Took them off to rest. Wrapped and refrigerated overnight.

Now for the fun part - slicing

P7150890.jpg

Sliced some thin and some thicker

P7150893.jpg

Now the really fun part!

P7100820.jpg

P7090798.jpg

P7100801.jpg

It has a great smokey flavor, with not much fat. The thin slices cook up like bacon, the thicker ones are like canadian bacon. What a great aroma they have while cooking.
Now the sealing and storing part:
Doesn't look like much is there when you suck all the air out. But believe me, that's alot of bacon there!

P7160900.jpg

I will be digging up all the recipes I can find that have bacon in them, any suggestions are appreciated.

No more store-bought bacon for me!

Faith
Tampa
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Thirdeye's Buck Board Bacon sure is good Nice Job!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great post and photos(as always).
    Your BLT smells good from here.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    Faith that sure looks good. Got to put on my todo.
  • Thanks, guys. Rooster, you should give it a try. It's time consuming, but easy, and the taste will blow you away. I am very surprised how good it is.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Faith, looks really good. That's on my "to do" list this summer. Brian
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    YUMMY!! that looks very good!!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    That is a work of art Faith, I drooling to my toes (well, almost). You photography is great, it's a fantastic post.

I used to make a Tomato Pie with a home made crust and seeded and sliced, well drained fresh Florida tomatoes that had bacon layered randomly through it. Quiche Lorraine is an old favorite that will eat up some bacon. BBQ Shrimp Wrapped in (you guessed it) Bacon is to die for. I used to make an Orange BBQ sauce that consisted of an 8 oz. can of good tomato sauce, an ounce or two of Cointreau, the same of Grand Marnier, The juice and about half the zest from a large orange, sweeten with orange blossom honey, 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract if you have it, a little oregano, a little parsley, a clove or two of garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Let all simmer very slowly to thicken and meld flavors. Wrap shrimp in half cooked bacon and skewer on about an 8"-10" skewer using the skewer to hold bacon secure. I would put 6 to a skewer alternating with chunks of fresh pineapple and half a Maraschino cherry, starting and ending each skewer with a chunk of pineapple.
    I have yet to make them on the egg but I would use a raised grate, direct, over a hot fire. Probably saucing them as soon as they went on. About three minutes a side to finish cooking the bacon and gently cook the shrimp and give some nice color/char. I use to do them under the broiler when I didn't have a grill. Serve on a bed of rice pilaf or similar dish. Rice-a-Roni comes in some great varieties that can simplify this cook.
    LOL, now I'm drooling so bad I have to go get some lunch or die of dehydration! :)

Have great day,

Gator
  • Thanks for the nice words, Gator Bait, and bacon recipe ideas. I will try them out since I have such a supply of bacon now.

Faith
    Tampa

• rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    I can smell and taste the bacon from your pics. great pics and bacon
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Dang! I'm off on days that end in "Y" :P . Why wouldn't I do that? Ok, Ok, I Will, I Will!!!!!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Nice pictorial Faith, making me hungry way before lunch time. -RP
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Nice work Faith. I was wondering when you'd finally get around to trying it. Surprised it only took 3 hours to get to 150 deg at 225. I only take mine to 140 and it usually takes 4 to 5 hours?? I'll be de-boning and brining ytd LB numbers 176 through 200 tonight to get ready for the Pittsburgh fest on August 1st. Enjoy. :) Mark
  • Hi Mark, the awesome buckboard bacon that you served in Waldorf inspired me to try it - Thanks!!

Thirdeye's website says only 3 hours, what temp do you use that it takes 4 -5 hours? You are lucky there are alot of fests near you!!

Faith
    Tampa

• Weekend Warrior
    The Hi-Mountain instructions say 150 deg. for 45 minutes with no smoke, then 200 deg. with smoke until the internal temp reaches 140. It's even hard for the Guru to hold the 150 degrees and I usually just let the temp slowly climb on it's own until the Guru settles in at 200. I didn't read your post carefully enought to see you were smoking at 225 deg. 25 degrees doesn't sound like much, but it would make a difference in smoking time.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Faith,

Great job Faith. It is surprising the taste and leanness of the BB. Here are some ideas with your delicious looking BB. Now these may seem obvious but they are delicious. :P

Make pig candy with BB..a little chewier but I love it

Eggs Benedict using BB

BBLT's...one of our favorites

and mor eto be thought of later...enjoy :)
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hi Faith,

Congrats on BBB cook!! Makes you feel like you acomplished something special at least it did me for. I bought a pork loin today to start on it's path to BBB.

Your pics are making me hungry!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Mark,

I'm seriously considering driving up to the Pitsburgh Egg Fest. Any coaching on when to arrive, what hotel, etc. I'm familiar with the Cranberry Township area somewhat.

Thanks,
  • Weekend Warrior
    Hi Bill. There is no meet and greet. :( Cooks can start setting up at 8:15. Hearth and Home is recommending that out of towners stay here: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpoints/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=917

We need cooks badly, so if you could cook, it would be greatly appreciated. Please email me for more details. ;) Mark
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Great bacon Faith.
    Now I know just how much I have to learn.
    Good Golly that looks good!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    did your butts have the bone in?

if so how did you get around that when slicing?

also do you think the DP had much of an effect and would you choose a diffrent one?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bente, they were boneless.

I like the Dizzy Pig rub on the outside. Gives the outer edge a nice crust/ color/ flavor. I would definitely use it next time.

Faith
    Tampa

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    did you take the bone out or did they?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I bought them boneless.

Faith
    Tampa, FL

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    OH. MY. GOODNESSSSSS! All that smoky porky lovely goodness. That looks fabulous!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Great job Faith. Is that for next months fest breakfast? :woohoo: :P
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Good job Faith, I'm going to try that

Ross
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Where's the best place to order the hi mountain cure? Their website charges more to ship than the cure costs. I hate that! Also, are there other brands?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive only made my own from the recipe on the dizzy site, the guy that helped chris with it really knew what he was doing. havent tried it on the butt, but canadian bacon from the loin was great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Didn't realize I could make my own - even better! Off to search for that recipe...
  • Dimple's Mom
    Okay, found it. So that recipe is for Canadian bacon. I assume I can use the same recipe for regular bacon, which I guess you guys are calling buckboard bacon? Am I assuming correctly? Also, what cut of pork should I buy? I want what most closely resembled regular store-bought bacon. Thanks!