Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble Getting XL Searing Hot

Options
porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Early on I had no problem getting the XL to 600+.

Lately I have not been able to get it past 600.

Today I only could get 550 degrees.

I was using the XL lump reducing ring (bar design)

I had cleaned out all the ash.

I light in 3 places with paper towel and olive oil.

I let it burn for about 10 minutes dome open, bottom vent fully open, fully open.

I close the lid and after about 20 minutes 550 was as high as it was going to get.

All of the charcoal was glowing bright orange.

I hate to fill the entire firebox for a superhot sear.

But is that the solution?

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    More fuel more heat,don't short yourself on lump it will be there next time.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    Porterhouse, I've had really good luck getting not only high temps but long, slow and low temps as well by using the shopvac and cleaning out the holes in the firebox/ring. Seems to help air circulation. I do this every 3-4 cooks and definately before overnighters for butts. Hope this helps some.
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    Check your Lump, crappy lump, high moisture content possible, = poor BTU's.
    I have a new XL and have had her up to 700 but I won't do it again, 600 will be my new 700.
    The XL is a very big boy and has a lot of critical ceramic mass to heat up.
    Its Just my opinion, but it needs a full fire box to get to temps over 700.
    A lump reducer is a fuel reducer.
    Lump is still the least expensive part of the egg, fill her up.
    I am going to buy a small BGE for just that reason though.
    Its just my sweet wife and I most of the time, she likes a Kabob I like a steak.
    The XL is the right tool when my 20 something boys who have tape worms as companions instead of girl friends show up for their usual feeding, ( The Wife tells me I will some day miss their visits, as will the butcher ) or we have a big function.
    I'm not going to fire up the Titan rocket for the wife and I at minus 30 in the middle of winter, when a sidewinder will do the job.
    The XL would however melt the snow off our deck, and the guy next doors deck during its 6 hour cool down.
    Leave the F450 in the drive and take the wife to church in the Ranger.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Either loose the reducing ring or add a smaller Egg would be my solution. :whistle:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I have an XL and last Sat. night I cooked my first Rib Eyes. I used the Lump Reducer as well and it got up to 650 with no problem. It was darn hot too. There was no need for the Daisy Wheel as well. Steaks came out good.

Fill up the Lump Reducer with Lump to the top and at more if you think it needs more.

Good luck.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    If you are looking for the greatest (highest) impact or guage of temperature, you need to get right on the lump with the cook and temperature measuring probe. See pixs below, Probe 1 is in the lump and probe 2 is approx. equal height of the XL hanger, middle of the fire ring.

To get the biggest impact from a full xl lump reducing ring, you might consider setting a medium bge cast iron grid right on top of lump reducing ring. By design, the Xl lump reducing ring's diameter is approx. an inch shorter than BGE's medium ci grid: 14 vs 15 inch diameter. Hopefully, you'll get the results you seek and still save on lump.

feel free to call or email me if you want to discuss this further.

tempsinlump1.jpg

tempsinlump.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    How hot can the XL get with the Lump Reducer ? I got it up to 650. Is that realistic ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Tom, question for you on the reducing ring. When using the ring could you smoke at lower temps easier than with out the ring? I am looking into the 150-175 degree areas.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That's really cool. Good info and post.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It is on my wish list with a few other toys.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'm after the "Rig" next. Also kicking around a 2nd Thermpen. Thinking it would be good for different meats in the same cook. What are your thoughts?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    More is almost always better. I have been wanting the Adj rig for some time now. Hopefully soon. It looks like the food saver is next.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Eddie,
    Are you talking about the Adjustable ring for the XL ?

Gary
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    No for my Lg. I don't think he has one for the XL.
  • tjv
    Options
    At 650, I don't pay too much attention to the dome thermometer, cause at 650 I'm not cooking in the dome. The xl is a big cooker with room to roam, so I pay attention to temps where I'm cooking. Having a maverick et73 or similar is a good thing for the xl, especially if you are doing small, reasonable temp. cooks. Monitoring temp at the cook is a good thing. t
  • tjv
    Options
    150-175, I would not use the lump reducing ring. It's too big for that low of temp. Just a little pile would do, similar to the smoking cheese set up. t
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I was wanting to smoke some fish that I have always smoked between 150 and 175. The XL is almost at stall speed at 200 dome. Thanks that answered it.
  • tjv
    Options
    no adjustable rig for the xl. it's the flip ring. t
  • tjv
    Options
    I think if you played with the venting, you could get there. maybe take the daisy wheel off, slightly open the lower vent, so the heat does not have time to build, only exit out the top. maybe crack open the felt line too or open up the dome every so often too to induce cooler air. maybe have the fish front side, up in dome. 3-5 pieces of lump, briquettes maybe, backside on the grate. Maybe piece of foil as a divider/barrier between lump and fish. nothing like being specific on the set up.....just a bunch of maybe's......lol. t
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys!!!

steak+and+salmon+004.JPG

steak+and+salmon+005.JPG

It was likely a moisture issue with the lump.

When I did my intention steak cook. I filled the fire box with about 15 pounds of lump.

100_0026.JPG

The lump reducing ring is serving its purpose.

I don't want to use a half bag of charcoal for every steak.
  • arsilvera
    arsilvera Posts: 8
    Options
    I also have an XL BGE. In the past when I've tried to get up to searing temp I've left the daisy wheel off and the bottom vent wide open. I found, tho, that I literally had fire coming up from the lump. It didn't seem right or what I was aiming for.
    With briquettes the suggestion is to wait until the fire dies down and the charcoal is ashed over. With the lump I waited for a while and it never ashed over. I just burned all my fuel!! What am I doing wrong?
    In your post are you saying that when using a lump reducer ring, dome temp is not going to be as important as the temp on the grid over the lump? It makes sense, I just want to be clear. Should I be shooting for 650-750 degrees grid temp or higher?
    Finally, my steaks are really thick so after searing the steak I like to leave it in the egg at a lower temp until it comes up to desired temp. If I just close the vents almost completely, can I leave the steak over the lump and not worry that it is going to
    burn?
    Thanks,
    Albert