Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a used BGE

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in Kansas City, home of the best bbq in the world! I'm looking to purchase a medium or large BGE to see what the hype is all about, but didn't want to spend the $$ for a new BGE. Anyone looking to part with their egg, or know someone who is?
Thanks!
CGH

Comments

• Chris,
    I’ll be the first to volunteer, I’ll let go of my large and nest for $800, but you pay shipping.[p]Okay, that wasn’t nice, but seriously, most of the people on this board (or at least me so I don’t speak out of turn) would gobble up any good deals and add to their collection much less give up an egg. If you do find a good deal on a egg or other ceramic cooker, be aware of the exorbitant shipping expense and lack of warranty.[p]Good luck none the less, I’m still scrounging for a second “cheep” used egg too.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    pivotizer, you will probably not find a used for sale because all the "hype" you refer to is actually true.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Chris,
    I'm sorry that I cannot help you. I own a large,medium and mini, if I were to sell anyone of them the price would be more then retail, they are well seasoned and better then a new one.[p]I hope you get an egg, new or used.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• New Bob,[p]Since you have experience with all three sizes, which one would you recommend? It's just me and my fiance, and we occasionlly have friends over. Also, would you still recommend any egg if its primary use would be for high-temperature searing, for steaks, tuna, etc? [p]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Chris,
    The fact that it is so difficult to find used eggs for sale is a testiment to how well they cook and how much those of us who use them like using them. Break down and spend the $$ for a new one -you'll never be sorry.

• Mr. Hyde
    Options
    G-man,[p]If you are really only looking to sear, the small or the mini would be great choices. But if you taste some of the low & slow cooks such as Boston butts, you might change your mind. Usually the answer to "which size should I get" is overwhelmingly the large. It does a great job searing, but also has the capacity for larger cooks, and I think that it is the better choice for low & slow.[p]Also, once your friend taste what come off of the Egg, you may have more for dinner than you expected![p]
    [/b]
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    G-man,
    It is just me, and sometimes guests, and I have a large and a small. Get a large, and in a few years you will likely add a small. Searing steaks and tuna is awsome, but you will fall in love with the other capabilities of the egg. Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the world of egging.
    Seth

• Bordello
    Options
    Hi G-man,[p]I've been egg-en about two years which makes me a new member here. Now, a little about me, I'm not very big, single but do have the neighbors over often.[p]My first egg was Mr. Large, then I was looking for a small but found a medium on sale so I bought it, she is named Miss Medium. They were talking about discontinuing the mini so I ordered one from Atlanta, thus I now have Baby Mini.[p]As for searing, your steak,tuna or whatever............ YES, how does 700° or more sound???? You can do (with a little practice) from around 225° to over 700°
  • Bordello
    Options
    G-man,
    Guess I'm getting old. LOL [p]In my reply below I forgot to say, I would start with Mr. Large if the budget can swing it. Also, I have 2 neighbor's that offer to buy the meat for pulled pork if I would be willing to cook it for them. I, of course am more then will because I get some free and most of all I get cook on one of my egg's. ÜÜÜ[p]Regards,
    New Bob
    getting older and more forgetful.

• New Bob,
    As they say "memory is the first thing to go"? But I don't remember the second thing...... Marty

• Chris,
    We have a fairly new bge dealer here in north alabama that has been selling them (new) at awesome prices. Best I've EVER seen. If you're local, he'll even deliver, set up and help you do a first cook. He's really doing this for fun. He just loves selling, talking, cooking and eating ceramic. If you'd like the contact info, just let me know. (don't know if I'm supposed to mention the company name here or not??)