Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cast iron grill

Zyme
Zyme Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone
just ordered the cast iron grill for the LBGE. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried removing the fire ring and setting the grill directly on top of the fire box to get it closer to the coals once they're hot? (For searing steaks, of course.)
I've read about the spider accessory--but I don't think that will work with the 18" cast iron grill.

I haven't posted much but I really love reading the forums for advice and inspiration, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Not a good idea. Heat can expand it and potentially crack the outer shell of the egg. If you have an inch or so clearance around the outer diameter maybe it would work, but lava hot coals dumping everywhere would be my concern.

Besides - how much sear do you really need? Safer to raise the lump by putting in more to begin with than bypassing the fire ring.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i agree with fidel ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    If you really want a good sear throw the steaks right on the coals and close the lid, sounds crazy but it does work, you will have a few coals stick to the meat but very very few. 500,000 Neandrethals can't be wrong.
    FireWalker
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    I'm new to egging so I hesitate to share much at this point :unsure: but we also just got a cast grate. We put it on the fire ring, and we thought it was plenty close enough to the fire to have great searing. Turned the steaks slightly and had perfect diamond pattern.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Here is one that is adjustable and will give you aplenty of clearance away from the wall of the egg.It runs around $30.00 and is cast iron.Four steaks will fit on it.
  • Darnoc
    Here is the picture.I don't know where it went.

002-27.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mike in abita did that and it expanded and cracked his egg, clearance is critical and cast iron expands more than you would expect.
    bill
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Thanks everyone! (Boy am I glad I asked. I might have gotten away with it once, but who needs the risk?)
  • Darnoc
    You can adjust it to have a half inch clearance on either side of that grate.How much room does the other cast iron grate give you?If it grows larger than that you are at a steel mills plant where the iron or steel will melt.
  • Darnoc
    Here is some proof when I use this grate.Have using it for about one year now and it is a great product to do coking on a cast iron grate.If you will notice the end of the grate is farther away from the side of the Egg than any product that they make.
    003-26.jpg
    Here is the Egg coming up to 800degrees plus.
    006-20.jpg
    After four minutes on the first side.
    007-15.jpg
    Ditto for the second side.
    Let it rest for twenty minutes while corn cooked ten minutes per side.
    001-37.jpg
    Put back in the Rgg at 400 degrees for ten minutes more rest,slice and serve.
    009-5.jpg

Enjoy.
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    You need the spider and the CI grill for the small. 14in .