Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical roaster for turkey

chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've committed myself to providing a roast turkey for a going away party - now I have to put up (too late to shut up). I've never done a turkey before, and have only done a couple of spatchcocked chickens, so I don't want to ruin this attempt.[p]My local Ace hardware has a vertical roaster for a chicken - the kind that will hold a beer can. Will this work also for a turkey? Or is it likely too small. Any other turkey hints are sure appreciated...[p]Thanks
Chuck

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    chuckls,
    I believe Cabellas and Bass Pro have a larger one for
    turkeys, but a v-rack works well also. I brine my turkeys
    overnight, dry them off and rub with olive oil, kosher salt
    and pepper. Put the bird in the rack over an upside down
    plate setter with a drip pan. 350-375 till done.
    Chuck

• chuckls,
    why not spatchcock the turkey, I had one posted last week by another egger on here and it was truly SAHWEET !!!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    chuckls,
    I have had delicious and dependable turkeys done in the spatchcock method. Brined or not, you get a very moist and tasty bird by adding olive oil and seasoning UNDER the skin. About 350 on a raised grid until 180 thigh temp, 170 breast temp, and you're all set to go. I don't flip, and keep the dome closed. Adding a sauce for the last 15 minutes can give a nice glaze to the skin.
    Have fun!
    Gretl

• chuckls,
    I would recommend a 40 oz. can of fosters and iy you dont want beer turkey then drink the beer and sub your favorite liquid!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    chuckls,[p]Spantek makes a variety of vertical wire bird sitters that work very well. The chicken sitter is too small for even a small turkey. I recommend using the vertical sitters as the skin browns evenly with no grid marks, making a nice presentation, and the finished bird can be carved directly from the sitter.[p]Below is a link to a recipe that is easy for the first attempt at turkey and works very well when done on the vertical sitter.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Super Buzzard[/ul]