Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestion for my dad

FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help with this. First off let me tell you a bit about my dad. He's 86, but sharp as a tack. He's still doing all his own lawn work, house maintenance and the like. He still gets on the roof and blows it off three or four times a year!!! All that to show that he is capable of dealing with an Egg.

Now, on the other hand he never got the knack of his gasser. Oh, he could do the steaks and burgers, but he never did like the thing. Since I've been doing my egg he loves the thing. I know he'll never do low and slows, nor will he do anything fancy, but I do think he would do a lot of chicken, more things like sausage and brats, hamburgers and pork chops. It's never going to be more than he and my mom.

My question is: For him is a mini going to be too sensitive to learn to and he might end up burning too much stuff or should I just get him a small?

I'm hoping for a mini because I would really like to buy it for him, but a small is probably out of my budget, but I also want to be realistic.

Let me know what you all think. TIA

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Lots of folks love the mini.I would get him a small.JMHO. :)
  • I would have to agree with Hoss.
  • FSUScotsman
    Sigh.....I was thinking you all would say this. I'll wait and see what others think before heading that way. I do want to buy it for him though. He's done SO much for me through the years and there is never going to be a way that I can repay him for all that he's done.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Screw it get him the mini. If he can get on the roof to blow it off he can learn how to use a grill. The mini will certainly do any of the things that you think that he'll be cooking the most.

I like the quote by Lewis btw...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Dang it Ron... Lately I have been saying don't get a small get a mini or a medium.

With your explanation, in this case I would say the small is a better choice for you dad.

However, if it were none or a mini, the mini would be great. You might think about also picking a woo from tjv. That will give him a raised grid.

The mini is a great egg and it will cook as well as any of the other eggs within it's limitations (grid size and depth of the firebox & fire ring).

If you load the mini to just above the air vents in the fire box (not much lump at all) there is enough distance between the grate and lump for a nice lower temperature cook.

I haven't tried it but I would think the mini would do a small pizza really well.

I think you dad would be tickled to get either one.

Kent
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi Ron, I would go with a small. with that they can get a small covered dish for baking vegies in or just sliced potatoes with onions and butter. also it is easier to find a small cast iron skillet to cut of the handle and be able to do cornbread or other stuff that a pan is handy. if they are not going to do homemade pizzas but might get a store bought the size is better too. he can play with a low and slow with a small. not saying you can't do it with a mini but it is easier with a small. and for the price it is nto that much more for the size of the egg.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I suspect you have already paid him back more then you will ever know. You sound like a nice caring son. I am sure he would be thrilled with whatever you get him.

P.S. Get him off the roof, it isn't worth the risk!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mini does great pizza... get the 8 inch pizza stone 2 pack from amazon put one on the grid and the the second on on top spaced with copper "T"s
    bill
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    small for sure - it's a workhorse that is big enough to provide more versatility than just a fire box! I love my mini but both he and you will love that small in the long run!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lowercasebill
    i think the mini would work fine for him you can do two corning hens easily or a small fryer chicken... more than enough for them .. chicken parts are no problem same for brats etc.
    and it is easy to grill the asparagus while the chicken rests..
    pics to follow
    bill
  • lowercasebill
    newcamera007.jpg

newcamera003.jpg

newcamera009.jpg

boneless thighs over penne with roasted red pepper and spinach cream sauce
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Nice pix bill. Can't believe the little guy shut on those hens. :laugh:
  • FSUScotsman
    I'm really torn. As I said, my dad isn't going to do anything like any of us would do. He will put a chicken on, pork chops, chicken parts, burgers. I might get him to try some of the pre-packed pork tenderloins (I'm sure you all have seen the pre-seasoned little ones), but he's just not ever going to put a casserole dish on an Egg or do a pizza. Just not their style.

I think I'll check with my one good dealer here and see what the price difference is between the two, that may be the determining factor. I pick up my mini tomorrow btw. Maybe I can make a better determination after using one myself.

You all are great. I've been here a while but I'm just now getting to where I'm branching out to do more than the same things I was doing on my gasser. I've got more time now and more motivation. There are so many things I want to try. I almost wish (almost I said!) the kids were still home so I could make all the stuff to get them to eat it. It's a little harder with just two of us and a lot of the time just one.
  • FSUScotsman
    Bill, what size chicken will fit on a mini?
  • lowercasebill
    2 hens on a raised or your basic fryer chicken 4-5 lbs is my guess.. lots of mini posts lately i will find them and post link
    brb
  • Small If your dad likes the egg the mini is a bit small if they have company over, such as your family.
  • Grandpas Grub

"P.S. Get him off the roof, it isn't worth the risk!"

I completely agree, at his age a slip or fall isn't worth the rest of his life potentially being bed ridden.

My dad was in his late 80's and he had a relative short fall. In a matter of about a week he went from going on 2 an 3 hour walks to being bed ridden and followed by having to being bed ridden and being dependent on family to do everything for him from eating to cleaning up personal needs.

The last 5 years of his life was not easy for him after being completely self sufficient.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I use the mini for the wife and I and 3 maybe 4 of the grand kids.

Any cook longer than about 4 hours will take a lump refill. Other than that, the limitation is the grid size.

I cooked 6 ears of corn on the mini. Granted a couple of ears wer sticking up through the upper vent.

GG
  • FSUScotsman
    Have any of you all tried to tell a WW2 vet he cannot do something? OH how I've tried. I've at least gotten to the point that he won't go up there without someone being with him. On the positive side we all live in Florida and roofs here are pretty flat.