Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SURVEY: WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO SEE AT AN EGGFEST?

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in Off Topic
and what don't you care for? I will publish the findings. I am doing research for an eggfest organizer. Thanks.
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I've never been to one, but I would sure like to see some vendors with accessories....and a beer tent!!! :evil:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Fri:
    Meet and Greet.

Saturday:
    No drama fun in the sun all day feast.
    Vendor or two.
    How-to classes scheduled throughout the day.
    Prizes.
    Music.

Saturday Night:
    After party.

Decent Nearby Hotel, especially one where can hold the after-party too.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I thought that's how they all are.....I'll be hitting my first 2 in the next 8 weeks. :)
  • I've only been to one Eggtoberfest and I really enjoyed it. The cooking and the food was outstanding but the best part was meeting a lot of e-friends in person. I agree with Pete especially on the meet and greet and after party.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I agree with Pete...also the cooks should be supplied with BGEs, lump & starter.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    I like Pete's list but would also like somewhere to crash. Such as the hotel within "my" walking distance
    or at least somewhere to sit with a drink or bottle of water to rest and not feel like I'm taking up someone's space.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Only space you are taking up will be yours.. If I go up and you sat down it's still your space..

You could always bring your on portable space to plop down in.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    I will probably be run out of here for saying this but I think the eggfest are quickly reaching the point of over saturation if not there already. Don't get me wrong, I think the fest are fun and some of the largest ones will still be special to a lot of people.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Music,cookin demos.AFTERPARTY!!! B)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    A few vender's of our favorite products.

Cooking demonstrations,

Lump to cook with. Assign a bag for like three or four eggs that are together.

If having door prizes then have ones that we will really use, not bring it home and put it away and never use it.

Everything coast money so maybe a vendor that has water and soft drinks to sell.

I feel charge for tickets, should be for all, half price off for the cooks, but supple some Lump.

Maybe custom hats made up for that particular Egg Fest instead of T-Shirts, some of us are a little larger then others and that size don't fit.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I like the idea of how-to classes (maybe advanced)

Door prizes are nice

Throwdowns have been fun

Our family likes the park setting/play area for the kids that Ocala has

I agree with vendors that may have specialty items (thermapens, guru, raised grids)

Let me think some more.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Another Point, this is my HO,

Purchasere of Extra-large, large, and medium demo Big Green EGGs must buy at least one 20 lb bag of Big Green Egg lump charcoal. Charcoal will be used with demo EGGs for cooking demonstrations.

To be forced to purchase something I feel is wrong. If I want to purchase Lump then I will. Add the price into the Egg Demo then. The way this is worded turns me off some. A LOT.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    But isnt it more like a starter package? I mean, you bought this egg, you probably want what you need to go home and cook right away.

I also think most people dont have a clue on lump charcoal until they hear about the egg and where I live it is pretty hard to find lump except at places where they sell eggs.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Your friend should contact Snoop Dog as his fest is really put together well.

Most fest have a Friday night meet and greet where the sponsor provides drinks and appetizers.

At the fest I have been to, on Saturday they have a good supply of eggs out and bags of lump for the taking.

Door prizes are available but are usually what is donated by suppliers. Maybe the host will give away something like a mini, but think about most of these stores. They don't load up on tons of accessories outside of what most of us already have. It's even worse when it's a non bbq store.

If you charge people to get in they are going to expect to have a full buffet. Will need to make sure there is plenty of food all day long.

Classes are good. Seen demos on eggin 101, ribs, brisket, pizza, deserts and appetizers.

I think having it at the host is good if you can. It helps draw in lots of people when they see a huge crowd they will likely stop.

If you have vendors what would they sell? If they sell BBQ but aren't using an egg isn't that counter productive?

The ones I have been to have had t shirt orders before the fest so you can get the size shirt you need.

Afterparty as long as someone has eggs.
  • more of this!!!

hootersgirls.jpg

less of that!!

DSCN0204.jpg

(just kidding, would love it if the stumpbaby would show is smiling face and fuzzy little butt back at a fest again!!)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    OK Max... now that I just lost my coffee all over my pc.... Stump looks Good. the fella next to him however...........
    I will post more on this later but one of the things that the NH group did was run a test fire in all the eggs being used to check the gaskets fri afternoon. I am not sure how many failed but they replaced all of them for the fest the next day. I don't think a single gasket failed the day of the fest. the other thing was all the eggs were filled with lump and lit a little before 9 when the fest started. when the cooks got there the eggs were warming up and ready to go. especially nice for the new people who were a little nervous.
  • glad i made your morning. .. . pretty sad commentary on the state of gaskets when you have to test fire them and a bunch fail!!! part of the fun to me is us early arrivers (guys like me and wessb that show up at 6:30 in the morning) getting to light up the eggs and get things going....

hey, shoot me an email would you? ...got something to go over with you :-)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

Posters :(

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    :( me too........
  • Mainegg
    LOl it is a sorry state, but very nice of them to take the worry out of it for all of us. that was our third fest and the one before that I will not get into anything about an early start for those of us that got there early. anyways you have mail :) Julie
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think they should have marked out the spaces. i know that weekend warrior asked if he could set up and start some stuff at 8 or so, and was told emphatically "no", not until such-and-such a time. by the time he got there at the appointed time, everyone else had filled up the perimeter of the space and left him no room, except a spot out on the middle of the hot pavement....

whoops
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    We tried to get him to pull his egg by us we had plenty of room. I think he was worried I was going to take is adj rig or that cooler of bacon :whistle: it seems my reputation is worse than Egrets with his tables :S
  • Mainegg
    the meet and greet is great the evening before. and the after party is a must LOL I think it is mandatory that Pat and Steven be there..... and Susan with her mussels :kiss: and Neil will travel with more tools in the future.
    vendors with eggcesories would be very nice. and classes. at a couple of levels. heck even knife sharpening would be a very cool thing. as a class or a service.
    but really there have been good and bad points to all three fests I have been to.and I know three is nothing compared to many on here. the dynamics of the attendees plays a huge part in how things go. the attitudes of the organizers and the attendees here again. this is a huge undertaking and most people have no idea what goes into pulling something like this off. after a year or at least months of behind the scenes it all is crushed into a matter of hours. with 300 people wanting what they want NOW. if there is anyway that people that have long cooks or breakfast foods might start a little early so we are not serving hot cinnamon rolls with wings LOL not an easy thing I know. water and beer have been serves gratis at all the fests I have been at. very nice :P I do have a hard time swallowing having to buy a bag of lump to cook...... I like the hat idea and would pay the extra to have that instead of a tee shirt. with such low numbers needed it would cost more to run. the eggs lit and warm at the NH fest did save a lot of time for the cooks that got there at 9. we spent the night in the camper there and had them going at 5 am to do breakfast for anyone that wanted it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    your food is the one thing that may just get me there in the morning, by the way.

sean's competition cuts didn't get much mention, but his was the best brisket i have ever had.

by the way, did i miss the band? i think the thing was missing a "vibe" this year. no?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    What was particularly galling was I was told at the hotel at 6:30am that I wasn't allowed to arrive at the fest site until 8:30am and then when I got there, all the other cooks were already set up and cooking. On top of that, they made me haul all my gear; table, cooler, grids, etc. 75 yards to where I cooked. Thankfully Neil helped me carry some things.

My egg was chocked full of 450 degree lump when I got there and I was going to be warming bacon. Great(sarcasm). Please let me build my own fire suited to what I am going to be cooking. I know the intentions were good, but.......

It was missing more than a vibe. No before party, no after party, only 4 forum members, everyone leaving the fest by 2:00pm, no one staying at the hotel = No fun. I won't be attending that fest again. I spent the evening Saturday night out on Hampton Beach by myself. It was the highlight of the fest except for meeting you, Julie and Neil.

Not pointing a finger at anyone, but it was a far cry from the fun that was had at Waldorf.