Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some ideas

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Short Version:
I'm cooking steaks on Wed to be served on Thurs? What's the best way to reheat them w/o further cooking?

Long Version:
My GF's BDay is Thurs. She is recovering from surgery and won't be able to go out to dinner. I won't be able to take the egg to where we are going so I want to cook our dinner on Wed and serve it on Thurs. I will have access to a microwave, stove, & oven. I'm cooking 2" NY Strips (med rare) & cedar plank veggies.

I know this isn't the optimal way to serve steak but I'm handcuffed by logistics. She loves food off the egg so if I can pull this off it will lift her spirits tremendously.

Any ideas/tips?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    what if you cooked them just slightly rarer than she likes and then do sliced steak sandwiches. the reheat will bring it to temp and cook them a little more and she will have the flavor ?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I've reheated steak in the microwave after letting the steak get to room temperature and then reheating it on a 30% power setting for just 2 minutes. I only cover it with a vented cover or loosely covered with wax paper so it doesn't steam. Basically, it doesn't really cook it, it just reheats it.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    If you have a Foodsaver, how about cooking it to slightly rarer than her liking as Julie suggested, then vacuum seal it. You can then hot tub it before serving?
    canuckland
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Personally I wouldn't do it for two reasons.

One the steaks will not be consumed immediately. No matter what you do they will not taste the same.

Two: She is recovering from surgery. Depending on what the surgery was her body might not be ready to tolerate the richness of a steak.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I have done this,I sear hard for 1-2 min side to rare.Then when the steak is sligtly warm vacuum seal and chill.Remove steak,in a baking dish oven at450 1 pat butter aproxx5-7 min,check for desired temp.I have done this twice with pretty good results,never the same as fresh buy still good.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Pete, makes a good, make sure her diet includes this :)
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Very doable - think T-Rex method.

Sear your steaks, pull off the egg straight to the fridge (suspends cooking further), bring to room temp on Thurs and finish them in the oven. Just like waiting for the temp to drop so you can dwell - only in this case you are starting the "dwell" with a slightly lower meat temp.

Just keep an eye on the internal temp of the steak when reheating in the oven.

There is nothing like off the egg, rest on to the plate, but you sure can make the best of it working with the limitations you outlined.

Joe
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    darn - wan't trying to correct your suggestion - was trying to reply to FL egger.

Sorry 'bout that.... :S
  • There are some good ideas here but they are all qualified with "it won't be as good" which we all know. I haven't had much luck with reheating steak. Unless you are absolutely set on doing steak, I would go with something a little more reheat friendly like chicken.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Not to worry, I've done that many times :P
    canuckland
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Celtic Wolf makes a very valid point about the dietary restrictions following surgery. Assuming this is a minor non-invasive type procedure I will still offer my pair o' pennies.

Grill them to rare on the egg - just sear them for 2-3 minutes per side. Immediately pull them and wrap tightly in 2-3 layers of foil, then into the fridge after they have rested for 45-60 minutes.

When you are ready for dinner open the foil and add a pat of butter (good advice Frank) and seal the foil tightly, and pop them under the broiler long enough to get them hot - flipping as needed. Using the broiler will help heat them more quickly and will get the, hot with minimal additional cooking. Once they hit the internal temps you want, let them rest again for 10 minutes and then serve.