Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare ribs.......

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was going to put rib eyes on the EGG but went to in-laws for dinner. So I thought I would do spare ribs tomorrow and rib eyes Monday. My question is, how long do the spare ribs should sit with rub on them before they go on the EGG ? Dome temp and internal temp ?

Thank you.

Gary

Comments

• HuevoMacho
    HuevoMacho Posts: 28
    thirdeye wrote:
    e45d672e.jpg
    Glenn,[p]There are hundreds of techniques for ribs, here is a good starting point for you to check out. It may help you design your own signature ribs. [p]~thirdeye~ [p]Trim the slabs and peel the membrane. Sprinkle meat two hours before cooking with rub and allow meat to come to room temperature. Do not over season. A good overall dusting of the spices is all that's needed. A coating of yellow mustard is optional. It helps anchor the rub, retain moisture & improve the bark. [p]Basic Cooking Procedure #1:
    Cook ribs for 3 hours at 225° grate. Raise the temperature of the cooker to 250-275° grate. Peek every half hour to monitor doneness. Ribs will be finished when fairly brown in color and the meat has pulled down the long bones at least 1/2 of an inch (usually another 1 to 2 hours). Remove from cooker and sauce both sides before cutting individual ribs. [p]
    Basic Cooking Procedure #2:
    Cook ribs for 3 hours at 225° grate. Many folks wrap ribs in foil at the end of 3 hours, adding some liquid (apple juice, beer broth etc.) and returning to the cooker for about an hour, then unwrapping and back on the cooker until finished. This is called a 3-1-1 technique. The foil time steams the meat tender. [p]2e5054de.jpg[p]Try different rubs to see what suits you.[p]A mix of cherry & pecan or cherry & guava are my favorite woods on pork.[p]I like to baste or mop after the second hour, every 30 minutes with a apple juice, cider vinegar, wooster & corn oil mix.[p]If you are into sauce, add it the last 15 to 30 minutes.[p]

• Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 116
    If you are going to have them for lunch you can rub them down before you go to bed, however if you wait until the last minute that will be O.K. too. My vote is before bedtime or first thing in the morning if you plan to have them for supper.

I cook mine between 230 and 250 degrees and after the first hour or so any time I open the grill I hose them down with 2/3 apple juice and 1/3 Worcestershire sauce in a squirt bottle.

The ribs bones should be covered when you start cooking, when the meat pulls back and you have about 1/2" or so of bone sticking out the ribs are done.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    2 hours is my preference in the fridge. Cold pork gets a better smoke ring IMHO.

Mike