Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to handle Pizza Dough?

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made pizza on the Egg yesterday and it came out beautifully. However we had an awful time manipulating the extremely elastic dough beforehand; it was almost impossible to roll/stretch into an appropriately thin crust, it kept snapping back. Does anyone have any hints on how to handle and shape raw pizza dough? The only tool we have is an old wooden rolling pin.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    Fairalbion, Let the dough rest for at least 30 min after it has risen an dyou have punched it down. This will let the gluten relax and make the dough easier to handle. If the dough has been refrigerated, let it rest on the kitchen counter to come up to room temp.[p]SB

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]... and I'll just add more thing to Smokey Bob's thoughts:[p]When/if you find that after you let the dough rest 10 to 30 minutes and it still snaps back, let it rest in 5 to 10 minutes increments and proceed. You are experiencing a dough with gluten that is full of energy. There is nothing wrong with the dough, so say "that's a good thing".[p]Puj
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    I "cheat" in making my dough. I add the ingredients to the bread machine, set it to "dough" and let it do it's thing. In 90 minutes, the dough is ready to go. I take it out and roll it since I'm no good at hand tossing. Dough always comes out great and is ready to use right out of the machine.