Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

size of BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me the pro and cons of the large verses the medium BGE? I am preparing to purchase one but haven't made up my mind regarding size.

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Michael Peters,[p]I owned a medium (for two years)and recently upgraded to the large. Both are good smoker/grills. Anything you can do on a large can be done on a medium. The biggest issue is space. The large has more cooking space than the medium. How many do you cook for regularly. For me, it was my wife and I, but we enjoy having friends over. The medium will cook for 4 adults, but I'm a guy, I like bigger!
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Michael Peters,
    I think you will find that most everyone will recommend a large if you can swing the cash. I have a large and a medium comes next!

• Michael Peters,
    if you can, get the large, I had bought a med. and 4 weeks later I was crying, I needed a large, so my local dealer sold my med. so I could buy the large

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Michael Peters,[p]I have a large and a medium plus a mini. If I had to do it again I would have 2 mediums. I just really don't like the velocity the large has with flashbacks. It doesn't matter what precautions I take. If you have to open it with a 5' broom handle, that's an issue with me. Great for everything alse though.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• Michael Peters,[p]I also was deciding between a medium and a large, and went with the Medium. I've yet to wish for a large.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Michael Peters,
    Ya, it's a guy thing...I'm happy with the large. I cook for 4-6 on a regular basis, and I always do enough for leftovers, so the large works out for me. (2 cout up chickens, 4-5 steaks, 6-8 pork chops, 4 full racks of ribs, a couple butts, whole turkey...no problem) [p]I'd like to add a medium or small to the arsenal, but, it isn't quite high enough on the priority list.[p]Mike in MN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Michael Peters, you are at the same cross road many of us have passed through. Long story but I very seldom cook for more than just my wife and I. I too thought the medium would be plenty, but OTOH I have always been one to buy the best tools I could afford and then take care of them. Why then shouldn't I do the same for a purchase that is to last the rest of my life? Sooooo, I popped for a large! A year later my dear wife gave my a small BGE which is a terrific combo. A year after that she gave me a medium. Though it may sound like I'm bragging I'm not! I just believe these things get in your blood and become a way of life! In my book, get a large first.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Michael Peters,
    I'm in the large camp. When I first was considering buying an egg, I was looking at a medium. But for a little more $$$, I decided the large was the way to go. Just thought if I was spending that much, I might as well go with the biggest. Never can tell when you'll have a crowd over and need the extra space.
    Don't regret my choice but did add a small this year for small cooks.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    Amen, I have a large,medium and mini. I got the large first and he is my favorite, don't know why but that is the way it is.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Julio
    Julio Posts: 20
    Options
    Michael Peters,
    I have had a large for two years now, and just bought a medium. I would suggest getting the large first. Which ever you decide it will be a great choice! Steve

• Michael,[p]It's not just a guy thing, really; most gals would also agree that bigger is better :-). If you want to grill a meal, it's nice to be able to fit those zucchini boats around the drip pan. I've had a large for two weeks and even just cooking for my husband and myself, there have been at least two meals where I needed all the space available. Good luck.[p]Joyce