Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Advice

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Temp? Time? Raised grid or direct grid? Direct or indirect? Wood or no wood?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Brian,[p]250-275 would work
    Raised grid, or main+raised depending on how many
    I have done mine indirect
    Wood for sure -- have used oak, hickory, cherry, plum
    Probably take about an hour or so, whenever the bacon is done[p]NOTE: Try adding a Tbsp of honey to the cream cheese.[p]Rich G.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Brian,
    I do them direct on a raised grid at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, turning them over halfway through.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Dang, I thought I could answer all your questions in one sentence, but I forget about the wood. I'm a smoke slut, er, afficiado, er, lover, er...I like smoke. So I do use a wood chunk on the fire. I think I used hickory last time.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Brian,[p]Temp - 350[p]Time - about 40-50 minutes (when the bacon is crisp enough for your tastes they are done)[p]Raised grill direct.[p]Wood - I've used JD chips and hickory, tried one each time I've cooked them. I am not sure how important the wood is or how much flavor it adds particularly at a 350 dome.[p]You'll enjoy them and they are pretty adicting.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    AtomicTurdsongrill.jpg
    <p />Brian,
    See the link for all the info.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]ABT's[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Brian,[p]I found I like using an ABT grill, so I use the "sno-cone" method of preparation. I personally think the prep is faster. So far, I’ve always used direct cooking with the ABT grill on top of the regular grill, but most of the people I cook for prefer the chilies to be more well-done, i.e., less spicy heat. To do this, I cook about 50-60 minutes at 350°. What happens though is they’ve turned out a bit blackened on the ends closest to coals. Next time I think I’ll try putting my pizza stone (covered with foil) on top of the grill, then the ABT grill on top of the pizza stone. This should eliminate the blackened ends.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    338664%3A723232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A85%3B666ot1lsi
    <p />Brian,
    350° 30-to-35 minutes direct mesquite turn/rotate as needed Had some tonight Perfect[p]This is an old photo but they all look and taste about the same now that I have it down pat.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Brian,
    I have done them both direct and indirect either works fine
    but I kick up the cheese a little
    I use 1- 8 ounce package of sofened cream cheese
    and I grate 8 ounces of pepper jack and combine in a bowl with 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
    so far I have used pulled pork, barbqued pulled pork, and little smokies sausages for the meat, and the pulled pork so far is definatly the best choice that I have found .
    And just another observation, the thinner the bacon slices the easer it is to stretch it as you wrap the ABT's, I wrap them like I'm applying an ace bandage and I never need toothpicks to hold the bacon on.
    By the way the cheese concoction is enough for about 50 ABT's (25 Jalipeno's cut in half)
    The cheese idea came from a jalepeno popper recipie from an Emril show that I watched one night and it is realy good.