Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Patio cooking

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a lot of you do your cooking on your patio.
Does anyone have a insulated roof on your patio? Does the insulation do any good for temps compared to patio roof with no insulation?
I know in this Florida sun it gets hott under this uninsulated patio, to hot to cook. I don't want to melt my BGE.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    My large sits under the eves of the house and the small is under the insulated roof by the pool. Never had any problems. other then when the wind is from the wrong direction and the smoke from the small gets under the insulated patio cover, 300 ft sq.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Egmont Key wrote:
    I don't want to melt my BGE.

My eggs are out with direcet element exposure no covers. -22° plus wind chill and last summer 118°. Over 2 years now and the eggs don't seem to know any difference.

GG
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Richard Fl wrote:
    My large sits under the eves of the house and the small is under the insulated roof by the pool. Never had any problems. other then when the wind is from the wrong direction and the smoke from the small gets under the insulated patio cover, 300 ft sq.

Do you think the insulated roof is that much cooler than non insulated?
  • mattrapp
    mattrapp Posts: 107
    Insulated roofs are MUCH cooler than non insulated! I am putting up a metal roofed building right now, and the difference between the radiated heat from the insulated and non isulated areas is huge. I would without question insulate.
  • tke71709
    tke71709 Posts: 16
    Egmont Key wrote:
    I don't want to melt my BGE.

You can get a BGE up to 1000 degrees, how hot does it get where you are that you are concerned about melting something like that? The surface of the Sun?