Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed for a dummy

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a fairly new "newbee" and have a problem, hope someone can help. I have a 2" thick top sirloin, about 1#. I need to know if anyone has a good method to season and the method to cook it. I cooked the other half of it a couple of weeks ago (tried to use the method where you sear and remove for 20 min) and it came out like shoe leather. What do you recommend and what did I do wrong? How long per side do you cook and at what temp? Appreciate any help, thanks Saucy Elbows

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Saucy Elbows,[p]I haven't actually done sirloin on my cooker, but in the past when I've done oven recipes, seems as though I marinated them and then sliced thin across the grain. I'll see if I can find any of the recipes when I get home....[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Saucy Elbows,[p]From Alton Brown's show yesterday. I'm sure you could think of a way to adapt the technique to the egg....[p]R
    [ul][li]AB Top Sirloin[/ul]
  • QBabe, Thanks, I'll check back later, I'm not cooking til tomorrow. Appreciate you responding. Saucy

• bigmikej
    Options
    Saucy Elbows,
    I have done these plenty of times and you only get shoe leather if you over cook it. I also marinate overnight in a mixtire of 1c. olive oil, 1/2c. soy sauce, 1/3c. red wine vinegar, 3tbs. worcestershire, 2tbs. dijon, 2-3tbs.lemon juice, 2tsp. minced garlic, and 1tbs. pepper. Sear at 750 for 2 min per side, then let rest for twenty min. Get egg down to 350-450 and cook for about 3-4 more min per side for med. rare. Maybe a little longer for a 2" steak. Mine are usually 1.5".[p]Good Luck!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Saucy Elbows,[p]This isn't the one I referred to, but a different one I found. You may need to cook yours a bit more, since it is thicker.[p]GINGER-SOY GRILLED STEAK [p]6 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
    1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1 cup chopped green onions
    1 1 1/2-pound top sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick) [p]
    Blend first 5 ingredients in processor until almost smooth; pour into 13x9x2-inch glass dish. Mix green onions into marinade. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day, turning steak occasionally.[p]Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Pour marinade into small saucepan and bring to boil; then pour into small bowl. Grill or broil steak to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting board. Cut steak crosswise on diagonal into thin slices. Serve steak with marinade as sauce.[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]