Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIzzy Dust Question?. . .

Options
Washog
Washog Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased some dizzy dust awhile back and have been very pleased thus far. This weekend I'm cooking some spare ribs in lue of the Arkansas / Texas game and am wanting to kick up the dizzy dust just a bit. Maybe make it a little hotter and a smidge sweeter. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.[p]Oh yeah, Go Hogs.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Washog,
    I'm sure Nature Boy or BBQ Fan1 will chime in with the spice you need to add. Try some Swamp Venom next time.[p]CWM

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Washog,
    Feel free to add whatever ingredients take the DD to the level of heat and/or sweet that you want... We tried to create it to be 'balanced' so that none of the heat/sweet/spicy/fragrant tones outdoes the other, but if your palate wants a different level of some or all of the elements, go for it!
    If it's heat and sweet that you want to accentuate, can I suggest adding some cayenne/chipotle powder and honey to your sauce instead of trying to bring the elements into the rub? Since the sauce (assuming you're using sauce) is applied near the end, the ground peppers and honey will give that 'front of mouth' taste of heat and sweet you may be seeking, while the good old Dizzy Dust will be there hovering in the background with it's 22-ingredient horn-of-plenty blend of flavors...
    Just a thought...
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Washog,
    Qfan has some great suggestions on pumping up your sauce a bit to your tastes. [p]In the event that you serve your ribs dry, as many do, consider adding some powdered heat to the mix. Whatever dry ground chiles you have....cayenne, jalapeno, chipotle, de arbol. We use African Bird Pepper, and Bird's Beak in our hot rubs....but not likely you have that lying around. Cayenne and De Arbol are very similar in heat, and readily available. A teaspoon of either of those into a quarter cup of Dizzy Dust would certainly raise the heat level. 2 teaspoons if you want same tingling lips.[p]And for ribs, I think it would be safe to dump some more sugar in there as well...we use turbinado, but if you are keeping your cooking temps under 300, just toss some brown sugar in. With the added heat you could be generous on the sugar....even a couple tbsp into the quarter cup of rub.[p]Playin around is half the fun. Enjoy!
    Go Terps
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rumrunner
    Options
    2-5-2.jpg?
    <p />Washog,
    Well, I added a first layer of granulated garlic to these ribs and then did half with DP Dizzy Dust and DP Raging River rubs. It may not have made them hotter, but it put the ribs up a few notches in flavor! These were undoubtedly the best baby backs I've ever done and this from my wife who thinks ribs are a ho-hum food for her ;)

[ul][li]Meat & PoultryQuestions?[/ul]