Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do I do????

RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Regarding my first pulled pork butt....went to bed last nite at 2am. with only 5 hrs left of cooking time. Temp of pork was 160 deg. I slept until 7:45am and immediately went to check the pork. The fire was out!! The internal temp was only 165 deg.! What do I do???
Im thinking of wrapping the pork in aluminum foil and reheating the EGG and letting it cook an additional 2 hrs or so at 300-350 ..whaddya think??
I have no idea if this baby was done or not.
Bob

Comments

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    RLA,
    What time do you need to pull the pork?[p]If you're in a real hurry, you can wrap in foil and increase temp to 300.[p]When cooking a BUTT, once my internal temp hits 160, I bring the dome temp up to 300 and just wait for internal to hit 200. On several occasions, I have needed to relump. It's no big deal, just pull off you butt, throw in more lump, get the fire going, then throw the butt back on. You shouldn't lose more than 15 mintues of cooking time![p]good luck.[p]bama fire

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RLA,
    Sounds like you at least got past the plateau before it went out. I say restart immediately, and stick it back on at 275-300. Shouldn't take long to reheat. Since you past the plateau, most of the breakdown of fat and collagen has already occurred. IMO it is just a matter of reheating it.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    RLA,[p]I'm with NB. Don't worry about hitting 200; just cook until a fork stuck in the meat twists easily. I don't think you need the foil either - if you use it all that nice crunchy stuff on the outside will get soft.[p]Cathy
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Cat,
    Ok...just ran outside...ripped off that darn foil!!!
    I put it on because I thot it would reheat faster that way...but I do want to preserve the "crunchy" outer layer.
    It is done...temp is 196 deg. but the fork "turns" very easily. I am going to let it rest for 45 min...and then pull at it..with two forks...ala TimM's website instructions.
    Thankyou all.
    Bob