Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No confirmation - db issues?

3dogs2chickens1egg
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Registered July 4th or 5th - checked email - checked spam - tried the suggestions - no such luck - still no activation or confirmation.

It wouldn't take either "guest" or our handle or username.

and to top it off - it has taken seven attempts just to get this out so far...

won't take my email either...drbob1990@yahoo.com

plus...Posting Problem!
You may not post as a guest using an existing handle. Please login or use a different handle.
Please make the necessary corrections below and resubmit your post....but I'm not using anything???

Thoughts?

Only way I got this far was to use my other email and just re-register - there might be a gremlin out there...

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I've been having problems all night. Hmmmmmm.......
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Take this to the Forum Feedback section for a faster answer..
  • First - we love our egg.

But...

Over the years I have built many an item with lots of assembly required. So much so that I actually have 2 different styles of torque wrenches.

Needless to say where this is going as that bolt snapped when it reached 80 pounds. I think someone needs to either rethink that 125 statement - or add extra bolts! Of course for us the bolt broke literally 5 minutes after the local dealer closed.

Thank goodness for extra car parts laying around but still - I can't believe I'm the only one who has run into this...

...and while I'm on the soap box...given the cost - why not a little tube of touch up paint? We were very careful but I have noticed a small (pea sized) chip out of an edge - wouldn't have even thought about it if there were a little tube of touch up paint but now I'm trying to figure out what to use on it!

Then there is the gasket - my word!!! I will be taking pictures of all of this over this coming weekend if/when I have time as ours was half off! Why not place some extra in the kit?

Any one else?

BTW - first weekend was ribs, sausages, chickens, vegetables, corn (2 times), potatoes, and bread...still working on this next weekend!
  • Celtic Wolf
    First of all it's not paint it is glaze. If the chip bothers you that much it is a warranted item.

There should have been extra gasket material in the one of the boxes. If not call your dealer and get a new one. If that doesn't work call the Retail Store in Atlanta.

As for the carriage bolt.. Not sure where you heard 125 pounds from, but that bolt should have bent long before reaching 125 pounds of torque and that is where you stop. Common sense should have told you going much past the bending point would cause the bolt to snap.

Lastly.. Chill the attitude some. We are not BGE, and this forum is not run by BGE. We will help, but not if you come out of the chute screaming..
  • I'll work backwards...

As for the attitude - this is me chilled - really!

As for the carriage bolt - I have the instruction manual (which at my age I now actually read BEFORE I start a project to determine if I really want to start it for the afternoon!). My wife and I even watched the video and both of us said that was crazy but then confirmed with the manual which clearly states "... proceed to tighten the 5/16" carriage bolt to approximately 125 inch pounds...bending of the bolt and flanges during tightening is normal / recommended. Don't fear the ceramic will not break!..." Yes, inch pounds not foot pounds and the puppy snapped before it was even bent anywhere near what they showed on the video!

Maybe I was just unlucky with a bad bolt. Maybe also unlucky with the gasket misaligned and the chip. It was over 105 degrees here so maybe things were just melting! And of course with my luck this all occurred at 4:05 (5 minutes after the store closed) and I was expected to have food heated by 6!

However, bottom line - at more than the price I paid for my first car - I'd think the company (and I apologize to anyone taking my rant the wrong way - this is not directed to the forum but hopefully to the owners) would consider some of these small suggestions in the future to support what I believe is a great product - regardless of the little issues.

I am sorry if anyone took this to mean anything against the forum - or the egg for that matter. We are complete eggnewbies and unfortunately have already put the cover on our gas grill as I don't think it will see use anytime in the future...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Just understand the forum is not run by or owned by BGE. It is sanctioned by them and they do have more than on person keeping an eye on the forum.

The kind of complaints you are talking about really should be directed to BGE by calling them. You will be amazed at how easy they are to work with and how willing they are to make you Egg experience a good one.

As for that gasser - makes a good place to store you eggessories..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Congratulations on your egg and welcome to the forum.

Call your dealer (and or BGE) explain the problem, BGE has been fantastic on help with the egg as far as I am concerned. The only problem is things are not instant. The dealer would be quicker.

Here are some links and other interesting information you might find useful.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=669812&catid=1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=670088&catid=1

Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks.

GG

[url][/url]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Nope, never had a bolt break. Nor have can I remember anyone here saying that they broke a bolt.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    There has been 2 or 3 posts in the last couple of weeks now. Just the other day someone broke 2 hinge/band bolts.

But it sure is unusual.

GG
  • FSUScotsman
    You've mentioned several times that the forum isn't owned by BGE. How would anyone know that? The BGE website doesn't disavow owning it. I'm sure you are correct, but like everyone else, I didn't know that till someone told me.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It's in the fine print:

"Disclaimer:

Big Green Egg, Inc. ("BGE") does not control this website and accordingly does not control the content that is uploaded, posted or otherwise contained herein. Discussion contents reflect the views of the individual participants only. BGE bears no responsibility for the factual or legal accuracy of the participant's comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results.

BGE will not be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any content, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted or otherwise transmitted via this website or discussion forum. "

Disclaimer Page
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    For the record I broke one - but I wasn't using a torque wrench and the bolt had been on the egg for a few years. I may have been drinking. :whistle:

I just went to the hardware store, bought another 12¢ bolt, replaced it, and moved on.
  • FSUScotsman
    I should have looked on the fine print here, not on BGE's site. Looks like BGE would do the same there. :unsure:
  • Couldn't believe it - it was still almost an hour before we start in with the adult beverages! But then again - that would have made it more understandable.

I have nothing against my own mistakes - make 'em everyday - I just don't need any help making more of them!

As for the bolt - I had one on hand. Used to build prototypes and have a machine shop.

No issues moving on - we love the egg and have the next two weekends all planned out around what we are putting on it!

Already talking about visiting the headquarters during August too!