Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FINALLY found a source for USA Royal Oak!

CaptainJimmy
CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let's face it. New Jersey is gasser and propane wonderland. Burning burgers, turning chicken into hockey pucks, and charring steaks beyond recognition is the major is part of the culture here. Walmart doesn't really have superstores here - in fact we have 2 in the whole state- and the superstores seem to carry RO-USA

after searching high and low for weeks at every local mom and pop hardware store, feed store, and mega super duper store, the best I came up with was cowboy.

My local supermarket carries 8kg bags of paraguayan royal oak which isn't bad, but nowhere near as good as BGE or wicked good.

The wicked good dealer near me retails it for $22.95 per 22# bag, which is expensive for everyday charcoal. I'll save the wicked good for the low and slows, since it's so dense.

FINALLY i found a wally world the next town over, NOT a superstore mind you, but lightyears ahead of the trashdump here in my town, that had 2 pallets of the 10# bags for $6.37. I filled a shopping cart full!

My wife is pissed now that my garage has so much charcoal in it. I've built up quite a collection (Wicked good, RO paraguayan, cowboy, natures blend hardwood, now RO USA).

My wife is starting to wish I had an alcohol or drug habit instead of this BBQ habit.

Comments

• Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    my garage is becoming a lump storage unit and my wife is not jumping for joy over it, I have plenty of Ozark Oak and Royal Oak on hand :whistle:

DSC00618.jpg
  • CaptainJimmy
    oh dear...

where do you get the 20# bags of RO? or are those 10s?
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    those are 10lbers and I get them from the local WalMart, the Ozark Oak which is very good lump I get from a local grocer for $4.86/10lbs
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I first started reading this forum, I was astonished to see how much lump some people had on hand. Now I get "nervous" if I have under 100 lbs. on hand. Wait eagerly for the mail order boxes of Wicked Good. Hit every Wally World nearby at the end of the summer to clean out the last RO left. Get all bright eyed when I find a new places with a brand I haven't seen. Get thrilled when I open a bag, and find lump in the shape of tree limbs as big as my head, "Yeah, the gooood stuff!"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My "nervous threshold" for lump is 360 pounds but recently I replenished and reverted to an extra stash in my secret hiding place where my wife never looks! The trunk of my car!
    IMG_2714.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    My wife gets POed if I have more than THREE bags at any one time!!! She is going to freak when I go shopping soon as the Wallys here don't sell RO after about 1 October until about 1 May. That is something I don't get either. It's not like football season is a time when you DON'T light a grill!!! :angry:
  • CaptainJimmy
    RRP i think there is a 12 step program in our future?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

my wife said that same thing back when my threshold was merely 200 pounds! I do think hiding it though may be a sign of something serious! In all honesty the first year I had my first egg I had to ration a single 20 pound bag through nearly three winter months and I said NEVER AGAIN!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Yeah, I know how ya feel. Glad I can get it anywhere...

ro2.jpg
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Seeing as I can't find RO anywhere! I have resorted to trying Kingsfords lump as well as the HG Hills brand "Best Choice" I think and will try the Kroger soon; at least I can find them anytime. So far the Hg Hills brand is pretty good and cheap; lots of big chunks and not as much ash as Kingsford-I've only had one bag of Kingsford that was what I would call decent but nothing near BGE.
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    "Gee" does it get that bad?
    I have 6 bags in stock, and I'm 12 miles from my dealer, god what you must be thinking.
    Does it slowly take over your life?
    Or one morning you wake up and you have an uncontrollable urge to order lump
    BY THE PALLET.
    Then the hiding of the lump around the house starts right?
    Man I guess they were right briquets are the gateway habit to lump.
    Just say no.