Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken problem

Options
otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a problem with my spatchcock yesterday and I really can't figure why.

370 dome temp with calibrated dome therm. ( although i wonder, it reads 20 deg high at ambiant temps) picked up bird from market in "fresh" section. Prepared and left in fridge for about 2 hours.

Cooked indirect with plate setter for about 40 min, checked with thermopen and got 150 thigh. Checked again at 1 hr and got 194 thigh and 170 breast.

Pulled, rested, then quartered. When I cut the breast apart bright red blood ran from the middle. What did I do wrong? Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    My only thoughts are probably going to come across as obvious:

1) Is your thermopen reading correctly?

2) Did you read the temp in the deepest part of the meat?

I've only done spatchcock chickens direct, and they usually take about 55 minutes at 375 dome. I could be wrong, but to be done in an hour with an indirect setup at 370 seems a little early to me.

Hopefully others will chime in with some ideas.

Jason
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Bright red blood? Never seen such a thing. An hour at those temps indirect and it should be close to done - especially considering what the Thermapen read.

Even cutting a raw chicken into pieces I've never seen such a thing.

Sorry I can't offer any help, but this just sounds like an odd occurrence. I hope there is someone that can post some explanation.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    otisdog,

I have seen something similar on fresh meatmarket chicken. I don't recall the answer and did a search and didn't come up with what I wanted. As I recall, ours had a small amount of blood near the joint if we cut or broke the joint. Not in the breast as you found.

Sorry that I cannot recall the reasoning but I think it was determined that there is some reason the fresh meatmarket chicken does this. I've not had the problem with packaged chicken from a grocery store.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it was bright red, it wasn't blood. blood turns black and cooks solid (think boudin noir)

and chicken is bled out just like beef, pork, etc.

the red in chicken is usually from the marrow leaching out at the joints. the bones aren't fully developed and calcified because birds these days grow so fast, they aren't completely formed (the bones) at the time of slaughter. freezing used to be the culprit, and can still play a part. but even in a fresh bird, red "blood" (myoglobin being carried in the moisture from the cooked meat) from joints is becoming more and more common.

poultry producers are having a hard time dealing with it. they have the birds producing massive breasts at much much younger ages (which is what they want), but it's getting harder and harder to keep folks from wigging when they literally see red. fast food chicken folks tend to cook thighs and such to 200 or so for firmness, which helps them avoid it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • otisdog
    Options
    I did not check in the deepest part. I inserted the depth of the thin portion of the probe. I did check it later in boiling water and it read 211.

I'm not clear on how deep to insert. Is it supposed to go to the bone?
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Thank you stike. Now I know why I didn't remember.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hahaha

it's a lot easier to just call it "blood", i know.

which is why folks do.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've seen what you describe and fully understand it -- but I wouldn't describe it as "bright red" - it is more of a red tinged clear liquid in what I've experienced.

Thus my post.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    for the chicken problem. Others gave really good
    theories. I have been cooking chicken for years.
    favorite food. Whenever I take my chicken to 180,
    that means a accurate thermometer between leg n thigh without touching bone, I never had any pink or red,
    UNless the chicken was not completely thawed.
    Thawing is very important, leave in frig for a few hours
    to thaw or overnight, and brine in cold water for 2 or 3
    hours to Thaw n Brine, which makes Juicier. Cause honestly at 194 like you said between leg n thigh,
    should of been overcooked and a little tough I think at
    that temp. So good luck next time, BullyC
  • otisdog
    Options
    Thanks to all for taking time to respond. It was bright red liquid, not the red tinged juices. It did seem to come from the bone which I split when I seperated the breasts. By the way, we ate the thighs and legs last night and reheated the breasts in the oven tonight and they tasted just fine.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    This subject came up a couple of years ago on the old forum, here is an article that came up in those posts.

[url"http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html]BLOODY CHICKEN by O. Peter Snyder, Jr., Ph.D. [/url]

GG
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    You nailed it right there, you cut the breast bone and the marrow thing as stike described got released. I usually cut the dark meat and wings at the joints. To cut the thigh into smaller pieces, cut along the bone not across. For the white meat, remove whole breast bone before cutting.
    canuckland
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Here's a link:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

That's what I was thinking, too, but you explained it much better than I would have.

BOB