Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SuuuuuWeeeeeeee! Oink, Oink

USDA Prime
USDA Prime Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE-WildBoarHQ.gif

Learned a few things on this cook to share.
1. Wild boar is much leaner than domestic pork
2. Hindquarter is quite different than shoulder butt in texture, tenderness and moistness.
3. Due to the thickness, I figured on 10-12 hours to reach 190 - took 16 hours without FTC (foil, towel, cooler).
4. First all-nighter with RO Steakhouse lump. No complaints - steady 225 all night with DigiQII.
5. The taste is different than barnyard pork, delicious, not wild, but nevertheless different.

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    SuuuuuWeeeeeeee.......eeeeeeeeettttttttt

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Very interesting USDA, thanks for sharing. I wish I could get out and harvest some of those wild ones. I have bad legs that are not fond of the idea. We have them every where down here. I got surrounded by a herd of them one night years ago. No moon, no flashlight, the boar would charge to within about 6', back off, circle, charge, back off again. He did that about four times before he got bored with us. All my buddy and I could see was a shape that moved like a small freight train engine. LOL, I wasn't about to turn my back on something that could run me into the ground. What cuts do you usually take when you get one?

Gator
  • USDA Prime
    They can be very dangerous even deadly, especially a sow protecting pigletts. In Alabama we have a little problem. The U.S.D.A. has prohibited processors that handle deer from processing harvested pig/boar. So, until there is a change, we must process our own. We really like the backstrap/tenderloin, the inside tenderloin, hams and shoulders. Those who have grinders make sausage from the remaining cuts. Check out these fattys.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=671009&catid=1
    I have an artificial knee which makes it more phycically challenging so, if your able, get out there and enjoy the outdoors and the delicious rewards of your successes!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Gator
    My sister lives in Fort Myers and I keep saying I am going to take a gun with me to hunt one. Maybe this will encourage the next time we go down.

That looks great by the way.
  • Gator Bait
    Yup, they can be dangerous, for sure. We were lucky and standing our ground proved the right thing to do that night. We found out later that people in the area were feeding the pigs day old bread on a regular bases and that is why they were so interested in us. I could use a couple new knees for starters. The weather cools a little bit I may have to look into a little hunting. Those Fatty's look fantastic!
    Thanks for the post and info,

Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Hey Kokeman,

I don't know where they are hunting them around here these days. They used to hunt a lot of them in North Ft. Myers, an area that was known as "the bombing range", but last I had heard that had all been developed. It's getting so there isn't any place where you can shoot any more. It's just to crowded. There's no shortage of hogs. People aren't aware of how close they are. I have lived in the highly developed south Ft. Myers for 25 years and I can find hogs less than half a mile from my house. They have been here a lot longer then I have. I can't fire a gun within about 30 or 40 miles of my house.

Gator
  • USDA Prime
    You're so right. They can live in very close proximity with us. They are mostly nocturnal, have a keen sense of smell and live in such thickets a rabbit couldn't get in. They compete with deer and other game animals for browse, mast and agricultural crops and they can have 2 liters of 6-12 per year. Even a litter born in January can breed before the end of the year. Check local and state game laws. Baiting is legal in certain states and if you can't shoot a gun, bowhunting is thrilling for such an animal at close range!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I was told that if they are on your land they are yours to harvest. Or if you have permission from the land owner. I have never looked into this to be sure though. Also there is a park north of north fort myers that has a shooting range in it. I believe it is off of 762. I think you can hunt there also. I have only been there once to look around.
  • USDA Prime
    Ummmmm, wild boar bacon and chops - I can almost taste them now. They root the ground up pertty good and their track is rounded on the end unlike a deer track that's pointed. One little tip, should you encounter a group, take one of the smaller ones. Easier to drag and meat's much better.