Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow day - Pizza Stone Cleaning

a stick
a stick Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all.[p]I got a pizza stone over labor day and have used it with great success a couple of times. However, its getting pretty crusty with burnt pieces on it.[p]I've soaked it in water for +2 hours to scrape off the big pieces but still have little pieces (especially in the center BGE logo) and dark stains.[p]Any cleaning or pre-treating suggestions (no, I haven't sprayed it with Pam or oiled it)?[p]Thanks - a stick

Comments

• a stick,[p]If I remember correctly, you don't ever want to wash them... You can scrape the chunks off, but otherwise, just leave them alone. I know for a fact that soap shouldn't be used...
  • Scottie,[p]Nope, no soap has come in contact.

• a stick,[p]According to the Pampered Chef's website:[p]How to Clean
    As soap can flavor foods that are baked in Stoneware, it is important that you do not use soap or detergents to clean your Stoneware or wash in an automatic dishwasher using dishwasher detergent. Follow these steps for cleaning: [p]General Cleaning
    Allow Stoneware to cool to room temperature before cleaning. Soak Stoneware in clear, hot water to loosen baked-on foods. Scrape off excess food on surface of Stoneware using the Nylon Pan Scraper (provided with Stoneware).
    Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing. [p]Deep Cleaning
    Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3 tablespoons water.
    Apply baking soda paste to desired areas and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Scrape off excess paste using the Nylon Pan Scraper. Rinse and dry thoroughly before storing. [p]Personally, I never do anything but let it sit in the Egg while it is good and hot (600+), then scrape off the burnt crud.[p]Hope this helps . . .[p] [p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I would never stick any of my stones in water. As everyone else said, scraping does the trick. Moisture in the stone may cause it to crack at high temps.[p]Jim
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    a stick,
    just leave it in the oven during off times............

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    a stick,
    Like others have said, I'd be careful with bringing it up to temp until it has had a chance to dry fully.[p]I've never cleaned mine and can't tell there's a problem. I've got a big spatula, the kind in the big outdoor tools kits; anyway, it's got a pretty sharp edge to it and all I do is scrape my stones to get stuff off.[p]And trust me, I made a pizza dough for a large stone tonight but had the small going. Had no choice but to put on the pie on and have part of it burn. I had to pry it off the edges of the stone. But, one good scrape with that spatula and it was clean. Oh...the none burned part came out fine!

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    a stick,
    After a few uses I cleaned my stone over a hot fire. It worked, but I soon decided that it was not worth the trouble. Now that it is a true veteran of many cooks, I think that my pizzas come off of it easier than when it was new - maybe it's just my imagination, though.