Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will a Small cook these?

SkySaw
SkySaw Posts: 656
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a prior thread, I mentioned that the cost of a Large was preventing me from getting an Egg at my cottage, when a wise poster suggested I look into getting a Small. That way I could pack it up and bring it home at the end of cottage season and have my existing Large and a Small at home.

I love the versatility of the BGE, and I am curious to know if the small allows for the following items to be cooked?
1. An 8-10 lb pork butt, without having to refuel.

2. A pizza.

3. TRex'd steak.

If I can cook those items I can also do everything else I like. I would plan to get the platesetter and pizza stone, and a cast iron rate for the steak.

Sound like a plan? Any problems seen here?

Thanks - Mark

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    No problems at all. The only thing I might add would be your largest cooks on the small at the cottage. If you may want to do a larger cook once and a while. You may want to get the medium. You would be amazed what the small will do. My large has been lonely so I thought I'd let him handle tonights meal. Bakers and a reverse sear beef t-loin roast (smaller one) I could have done it on the small without a problem.

Couple cooks that you may not think could be done on a small.
    OZEgg1b.jpg
    3 Red Snapper
    054.jpg

If you want to do a bunch of long cooks or ribs. You'll get the volume of lump you'll need for "no-fear" butts and the footage for the ribs. Other than that a small acts pretty big when you use a raised grid for double the area.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Hi Mark:

I'm not sure about an 8-10 lb butt, but a bunch of small pizza, some TREX'd steaks as well as a bunch of other good eats, I think it's time to take the plunge!

I'd be curious as to what size of butt, etc. you could fit on the small as well as how long the lump would last.

I look forward to the responses from the more eggsperienced!

Michael
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    The only question I had was about the butt. I know the pizza and TRex steak would work. Ripnem seems to think the butt will work. Best use the best lump you can get for that. And when you need to reload, just move the butt to the oven till you're ready to go again and then bring it back.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    You can do 2 8 pound butts on a small by putting them on their sides to begin with. After they shrink you can lay them down...
    The Naked Whiz
  • RGBHV
    And what about the lump?

Do you have to re-load part way through the cook?

Michael
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SkySaw,

I would look at a medium. It is pretty much a carbon copy of the large. It would easily handle your requirements.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SkySaw
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    You can do 2 8 pound butts on a small by putting them on their sides to begin with. After they shrink you can lay them down...

Without refueling?

Thanks for all the responses so far- it sounds promising.

Mark
  • RGBHV
    Hey Steve:

Hope all is well...

Does every egg has the same accessories?

Any availability issues between the various sizes?

Michael
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Michael,

I don't know for sure but I have the platesetter, cast iron grid and so on for the medium. Nothing for the small since I only use it as a grill. I think everything is available for the small though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ripnem
    Nope...I went 13 hrs and may have gone another 1-2 hours. Now it's the longer cooks that be tough. Re-loading lump wouldn't be that bigga deal.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I've not done it myself, but Old Dave showed me some photos of how he did it. The two butts fit. I don't see a problem with taking the butts out for a few minutes while you reload if necessary.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ripnem
    Well, just an 7 1/2-8 lb boneless shoulder. 13 hours and still had a bit of fuel left.
    buttonsmall.jpg
  • SkySaw
    Little Steven wrote:
    SkySaw,

I would look at a medium. It is pretty much a carbon copy of the large. It would easily handle your requirements.

Steve

I see what you mean. I am asking for a small to basically do the job of a medium. However, there are 2 big reasons for staying with a Small.

1) the Small weighs 65lbs versus 95lbs for a medium. I can move a 65lb Egg on my own, and it would not be too difficult to put it in the back of the van twice a year to take it either to the cottage or to home; a 95lb Egg would require some assistance. I would probably just leave it at the cottage year-round.

2) A medium is only $200 less than a Large. Since I already have a Large, and could share my platesetter, pizza stone, and any other goodies I accumulate between the 2 Eggs, it would just make sense to get a Large instead of a Medium.

So, it's either a Small or a Large. Judging by the comments in this thread, a Small can do what I want.

Most of my cooks would be just for my family, which a Small could handle. When a gang comes out, I could do the butt/brisket long-style cook. The only frustration I can foresee with a Small is when cooking vegetables. They require a lot of space, or a lot of time taking food on-and-off.

Mark
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    The small is great. Here is a turkey done on it!

turk2.jpg

:whistle:
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    A great sense of humor should never be wasted.
    To funny.
  • SkySaw
    That is one lovely looking pteradactyl.

Mark
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Thanks for the photo Adam! Answers my questions about doing a 6 1/2 boneless on my Small.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Thanks for the photo Adam! Answers my questions about doing a 6 1/2 boneless on my Small.