Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else is awake?

TedInAK
TedInAK Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 2 butts on the Large for its inaugural cook. The dome is holding at 200, and the meat is at 133. It's 20 minutes until sunset, and the town fireworks are in 45 minutes. I'm going to head over that way. If I get good pictures, I'll post them.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    That is a pretty low dome temperature there Ted.

If the dome is actually at a calibrated 200° your grid is about 175° - 180°. The meat will only cook to the heat of the grid temperature, not enough for pulled pork.

If you are not using a powered vent system, keep an eye on the dome temperature to make sure the lump does not go out.

Enjoy the fireworks.

GG
  • TedInAK
    That's the way I usually do it. Hold it at 200 over night, and then in the morning open it up and let it get up to 300.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Sounds great. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

I am not sure if my lump would stay going overnight at 200° without a powered vent system.

No problem at all cooking at a lower temperature then bumping it at the end.

Have a good night. We sure are getting a lot of cold wet weather from you folks this spring & early summer.

GG
  • TedInAK
    I think in the last 9 years, I've only had it go out on my once, and that was in the midst of a driving rainstorm when we lived in Texas.

Though I am a little worried about it being the new Large, with which I'm not quite as familiar as my Medium.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Morning,
    just checking on my butt & brisket. My butt was reading 192 after 7 hours, I do not think so? Checked with thermopen 154 back to bed ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    For me the large is much, much easier to use than the large.

I have had the lump go out twice with overnight cooks, once without a powered vent system and once with one.

The without was the vent setting were too closed down. The other with the powered vent system was a vertical burn.

• Wide awake here. Just checking out to see what's on the forum. Looking forward to seeing some pics of fireworks. Won't be any here at work on this side.
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    so what is the word there in Ak with the resignation? Just found out about that a few hours ago. Hope the fireworks are a sight to see.
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Still here, but not for long... Got the butt finished and pulled... :)
  • TedInAK
    Lots of speculation, but since it's national news, you probably know as much as we do.

Fireworks in the summer here aren't exactly spectacular. The sunset was pretty, though. Getting pictures off the camera now, but I haven't done it in a while so it still has lots of pictures from my daughter's zoo field trip and my other daughter's birthday party.
  • Just lit the large. Hopefully a 6 pound butt will go on by 5 am EDT. Alarm went off at 4:15. Went to bed at 1am for some stupide reason. I am struggling and before I went got up, seriously considered punting on the pulled pork. Good thing I didn't, would have a riot on my hands!

Coffee? Please? Happy 4th to all.
  • TedInAK
    Fireworks!

3686874022_360fd3f200.jpg

3686073477_2ed9ddeeeb.jpg

Sunset (12:25am):
    3686074933_bee20fc548.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    good morning! pretty.. I could not figure out why your fire works were in 45 minutes LOL then i looked to see where you were. Julie
  • ScubaQ
    ScubaQ Posts: 7
    Awake here as well. I had a sense the temp was going low. 8lb pork shoulder & brisket on standby in the oven while I get the BGE back to temp.
    Co-founder-PNWBA Eggfest; Certified KCBS & PNWBA Judge Toys: Lg BGE, Weber Performer, RCS Natural Gas Infra www.hophogs.com | twitter.com/hophogs | facebook.com/hophogs
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    We will be flying into Fairbanks Wednesday night and then on up to Denali to start a 11-day sight-seeing and cruising adventure.

Where are you in Alaska?

We will be trying all the local dishes, including a salmon bake Friday night.

Then to the ship, Diamond Princess, for the southbound cruise.

Nowhere in all of this adventure is there a single taste of Egged food. We're gonna die... LOL

We're going to have to re-pack everything because we packed for cooler weather. Now it looks like you guys are inching up to toward 80°. So shorts and mosquito repellent looks to be the uniform of the day. And maybe a raincoat.

We're looking forward to getting out of this 100°+ weather down here in Texas.

Spring "North To Alaska" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    3am an the sun is just setting. That's just crazy.
    I was there in June one time and the guys started golfing at 10:00pm. LOL!
    It's got to be hard for the little ones to stay up for the fireworks.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Leroy, I hope you and Judy have a great trip. Are you going to hook up with Melissa and Brent while you're there?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Thanks. Planning on having a good time every single day, and they have l-o-n-g days up there.

Our ship is too large for Sitka's port from what I understand. And the only way to get the passengers to town would be to shuttle them back and forth. Takes too much time so they just bypass Sitka altogether.

But I understand that Brent and Melissa are buying a nice boat and it's large enough that they could chase us down on the high seas and hold us there until we all agree to eat some of their Egg'd food. Judy and I would become instant turncoats and start gobbling down whatever it was they cooked. But that's not likely to happen...

We'll just have to go back.

Spring "All Points A to Z Except S" Chicken