Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is everyone's lump charcoal of choice and where do you buy it?

I used the green egg that came with my egg and just tried royal oak steak lump. Not at all impressed with the royal oak.

I am going to try some wicked good next.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BGE lump is royal oak, for what it's worth.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    we like and have switched to Wicked Good Week End Warior lump.

Much better and longer and cleaner burning.

Mike
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I use only RO made in the USA that I get from Wal-Mart. I have never had a problem with mine and it is decent size pieces. Is the RO you used USA or the sparky stuff that is imported?
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    For what it's worth, I started with the BGE lump as most do, I then switched to Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. I was ordering it online but a new dealer in my area is now stocking it so I will be buying from him.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have found that Royal Oak (USA only) is adequate for most of my cooking. I'd like to use Wicked Good or Ozark Oak, but they can be pretty expensive.

Wal-Mart around here sells RO (USA) for $6.37 for 10 pounds. A local BBQ store charges a little over $13 for 20 pounds of US Royal Oak.

My last bag of RO was full of very large pieces - the kind I usually see in Wicked Good bags.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    I too used my BGE lump pretty quickly... I search a new hardware store every time i see one (not too many around here anymore, home depot and lowes pretty much steamrolled them all). THe BGE lump i loved but it's just too darned expensive for every day use (24.95 plus tax for 20lbs)

My walmart barely carries briquettes - much less RO lump... The lowes and the HD only carry cowboy, which i have purchased some but have been reluctant to use because of bad reviews i've seen on here. It's cheap, but i havent even opened any of the bags i've bought (about $6.95 for 10lbs)

I can get Royal oak paraguayan at my local pathmark - and it isnt horrible - its pretty decent for every day grilling, it's easy to light and not too sparky (the argentinian royal oak seems to be like fireworks according to some. Its mostly small and medium peices, so its not GREAT for low and slow- not nearly as good as BGE lump or wicked good. I pay $12.95 for 18lbs, which is pretty affordable for everyday charcoal.

Which brings me to wicked good weekend warrior. Holy. Cow. is this stuff good. Its VERY dense, and the pieces are MASSIVE. The dealer near me is charging $22.95 for 22lb bag, which is kind of pricey in my opinion. I keep looking for a pallet split deal going on in driving distance of me. I love supporting local dealers and businesses - but even shipping the lump via fedex is cheaper than buying from the local dealer.

I think i will be saving the WGC for low and slows (i cooked a pork picnic butt on it yesterday for 14 hours and i barely made a dent in the charcoal in the fire ring.) and using the paraguayan royal oak for everyday cooking.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I'd been using Cowboy as it was the only lump I could get around here. A few years back - Cowboy was almost all flooring cutoffs - the last few bags I got though, there was NO scrap in it - all natural wood.

Be that as it may - one day I was in my local Mom & Pop Hardware store and they'd put out a 10 kilo bag of Nature's Own 100% Canadian Maple. I asked if they had more and they did, they'd bought it a few years back and hadn't sold much of it so it was still downcellar.

I bought it all - 12 bags - for $100

After that runs out I'll probably buy a pallet of Wicked Good - they have a distribution warehouse in the same town as the printer that prints my magazine. I'm pretty sure I can persuade their driver to pick up a pallet for me - he comes down once a month with a pallet of magazines for me already.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We have 3 Wal-marts within a short drive of us. Two of them are super centers and both carry the USA Royal Oak. The third is not a super center and doesn't carry Royal Oak or any other lump charcoal.

There is no question that Wicked Good is better than RO, but at about twice the price, it should be.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cowboy is perfectly fine. it burns fast and hot which is great for steaks and pizza, high temp cooks. but i have also never had a problem with it going overnight. FWIW
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante