Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My longest butt cook...

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning,

I sort of took yesterday off from posting (18 holes of golf and some adult beverages with friends :evil: ) but here are two of the three butts from Wed's 15.5 hour cook at 225 degrees dome pulled at ~195 degrees :ohmy: plus a 2.5 hour rest which translated into the pork being pulled at 11PM - one long day. The third butt was lost in action as everyone was real hungery when the butts came off the egg.

I was surprise at how long they took to get thru the break-down barrier. I used cherry (not apple as previously reported) for the smoke. What a nicely colored smoke ring; too bad it doesn't show up well in the pic of the pulled pork.

I was also surprised that my MBGE didn't need a recharge of lump however it was just about all ash at the very end.

Now I need to defrost the spare ribs in prep from tomorrow's rib burn.

IMG00034.jpg
IMG00036.jpg
IMG00038.jpg

Comments

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Nice crust on your butts Bill. That's a long cook for a medium. I'm going to make 4 or 5 for work on Monday. The company provides lunch once a month and I volunteered to make pulled pork this month.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I was very happy with the bark. And the length of the cook on that fire surprised me, all I did was poke some holes in lump with my Billy Bar and lit off.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Nice job Bill! How much did the butt weigh prior to the cook?
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks, the two smaller ones totaled 13+ lbs and the third one was 7+ lbs. so 20+ lbs total. Nothing to write home about but it filled up the medium.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Wow! Nice cook on the MED. I"m thinking it's time for some butts but I was leaning toward the XL. Figure the neighbors can get some and I'll have plenty of leftover. Nice to know you can go that long on the MED.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks, I don't know if I'd "plan" on a 15.5 hr cook on the medium, I'm sure there was more luck than skill in achieving that long of a cook. I've read on the forum where 14 hrs has been the norm for a medium :unsure: .

My other butt cooks have been between 10.5 and 12 hours. So go figure :huh:
  • Porco Rosso
    Options
    Those look great, NoVa Bill.

Did you just stack the 3 butts up on top of each other in the medium?

I'm on way to the store to buy 2 or 3 butts I plan to cook in my medium tonight and serve tomorrow.

My medium always seems to cook things a little faster than others for some reason (I always calibrate the dome thermometer before I start.) It would be nice to know that I could count on a 14 hour cook and not being done to early or the fire going out. Maybe having that 3rd butt in there might help slow things down.
  • Pohled Pork
    Options
    I think the rest is the most important part of cooking a butt. I cook mine until internal temp of 195 then put in a cooler wrapped in foil and then a beach towel. I let the meat ride in there for at least 3 hrs however I have gone as long as 6. Makes a world a difference when you go to pull the meat.
  • TigerDunes
    TigerDunes Posts: 42
    Options
    excuse the pun. I don't mean to "butt in". I am relatively new to Green Egg cooking. I just started a 4 1/2 Lb bone-in Boston Butt. This is a trial run for me. anything special I need to do? I am just using the regular GE charcoal. how long to cook? at what temp? any tricks of the trade or suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks and have a happy and safe fourth.

:)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :P YUM
    think I'll go reheat the last of the 33 1/3 (since I gave rest away)--your description of "lost in action" just activated my need for a meaty breakfast :woohoo:
    Enjoy your weekend!
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    My guess is you just make'em fit depending on the size of butt. Here's what I had and I stood them on their side for most of the cook. Laid fat side down after they cooked down.

IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00031.jpg
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Here's the best advise I can give you: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

There are many posts available from the eggperts - I'm still a newbe, but the one thing they'll tell you is it isn't a time event, plan 1.5hr per lbs, 225 degrees or so until the butt achieves intenal temp of 190 to 200, then I rest the butts in foil in an insullated cooler for at least 2 hours. I wrap mine in towels also.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Just munched on some bark myself :woohoo:
  • Porco Rosso
    Options
    Thanks for the pics. Looks great