Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak - I had NO IDEA it could be this good!

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the spur of the moment, I stopped at my local Publix last night on the way home from work and asked if they had any beef tenderloin in the back to cut a couple of 2" filets from. They did, so I surprised Mr. Hyde and came home with some beautiful little steaks.[p]Fired up the Small (now with my new spring hinge which is GREAT!), and waited for it to come up to nuke temps...[p]Seasoned the steaks with some heavily sprinkled kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, olive oil and freshly grated ginger. Rubbed all that in and let the steaks sit at room temperature for a bit.[p]When the small hit 700° I could wait no more. Threw the steaks on the grill and (with the dome open) seared for about 45 seconds, turned 1/4 to get crosshatch grid marks and let sear another 45 seconds, flipped and repeated (total 90 seconds per side). [p]filet-grilling.jpg[p]Took the steaks off the grill and let them rest for 15-20 minutes while the cooker came down to 400°. Stabalized at 400° and then threw the steaks back on for 3-4 minutes per side. [p]Took them off and shut the Small down. Had some leftover garlic butter from a batch of garlic bread last weekend, so on a lark, put a pat of garlic butter on top the hot steak while serving up some nice baked potatoes and a tossed salad.[p]OH MY GOD! These steaks were, by far, the BEST I'VE EVER DONE. I just could not believe how GOOD they were! I've NEVER, EVER cooked a steak like this! Don't know if it was 1) the freshly grated ginger, 2) the garlic butter, 3) the room temperature steaks, 4) the dome open searing, or a combination of all of the above. But whatever it was, they were outstanding![p]filet-done.jpg[p]MMMMMMmmmmm!
QBabe
:~)

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe,[p]OOops, forgot about the Dale's seasoning. Splashed a tiny bit of Dales on the steaks when I did the salt, pepper, olive oil, ginger thing....[p]QBabe

• QBabe,
    You're killin me! Fortunately, I've got a staff meeting luncheon in a few minutes and we always go someplace good.
    Don't think I can come close your steaks, though. [p]I've been really impressed ever since I started letting my steaks rest for the 15 or so minutes. I think it makes a huge difference.[p]Great looking meal. [p]How's the Florida Fest progressing?[p]Mike

• QBabe
    Hi Mike:[p]I was really wishing I had a mini here at work...wanted more of them today for lunch, but they totally disappeared last night![p]The Florida Q-Fest is progressing nicely. We're really hoping for a nice turnout. Check out our website....[p]Tonia

[ul][li]Florida Q-Fest (October 10-13, 2003)[/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    It's gotta be the garlic! I prepare mine very similarly, but even more simply -[p]Smear lightly with crushed garlic, add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I have used both fresh and prepared crushed garlic. The fresh is sweeter but the prepared is handy, esdpecially if doing several steaks. I don't coat the staks with oil either - everything sticks fine without it.
  • QBabe,
    sounds like trex worked for you too. . ..it is the ONLY way to cook a steak (IMHO). . .the ginger sounds like a nice touch. .. .try some dizzy cow lick instead of pepper for a change of pace as well. . .[p]i think i now know what's for dinner. ..

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    QBabe,[p]My guess is your experience has taken full hold.[p]Give yourself some credit. Them thar look awesome.[p]Mick

• QBabe,[p]Those look great!![p]I tried something similar with the garlic, ginger and salt, but used whole green peppercorns crushed up instead of black pepper. They turned out unbelievable!!
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    QBabe,[p]Those look awesome. It was the 20 minute rest of course! ; )[p]I've done the butter thing before with rave results as well, especially on filets where there is less fat for flavor, but I've never tried the ginger. I will have to give that a try next time.[p]Mmmm . . . I'm hungry.[p]TRex
  • QBabe
    TRex,[p]It's a wonderful way to cook a steak. Thanks for sharing the the secret with us. And actually there was one thing about the method that I did that was different...and that was searing with the dome OPEN. I'd never done that before. It was kinda cool...![p]QBabe
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    gshell,[p]I bet that would be good. I haven't experimented around much with green peppercorns. I'll have to give it a try, thanks.[p]QBabe

• QBabe
    MickeyT,[p]Gee, thanks...! It's pretty amazing what you can do with an egg. Will we be seeing you at Eggtoberfest?[p]QBabe

• QBabe
    Hey Max,[p]Yep, I agree wholeheartedly! TRex sure came up with a winner there. And so did Nature Boy and DizzyPig when they came up with Cow Lick. It's one of my favorite rubs. Especially in my meatloaf, believe it or not. [p]Will you be able to make it to Eggtoberfest?[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    Pakak,[p]Nothing like a good steak![p]QBabe

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    QBabe,[p]I always sear with the dome open - as I see it, there's really no point in searing with the dome closed, since you want the fire to be getting plenty of oxygen anyway to keep the flames lickin' that steak![p]Again, great pics.[p]TRex
  • QBabe,
    afraid hotlanta isn't in the cards for me :(. . [p]i'll just have to look forward to next may in waldorf. . .looking forward to hearing how much fun you all have though. . .and if you haven't signed up for it, you and mr. hyde definitely need to go to the meat fest at fogo de chou on friday. . .its a great place. . .

• QBabe
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yep, we're already on board for Fogo...it sounded great![p]Tonia

• TRex, but isn't the idea to sear at a very high temp-- like at about 700-800 degrees? Doubt you could reach that high with an open dome. JMO, of course.

• QBabe
    Jerr,[p]I lit my dome the same way as normal...starter cube, no daisy on top, wide open vent on the bottom. When it reached 700° (and I've had it up to 775° before), I put the steaks on and left the dome open for the 90 second sear on both sides. Closed the dome and put on the daisy to let it come back down to 400°. Did so in about 10-15 minutes and then stabalized it.[p]Had no problems getting to nuke temps...[p]QBabe

• QBabe,
    I would like very much to attend the The Florida Q-Fest
    and I hope you don't mind, but I would like to ask you a few questions about it.
    Do you think you could e-mail me so we can discuss this off the forum?
    Thanks Tonia.
    JohnR[p]