Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! There's Rust on my Daisy Wheel!

Options
swarthmoredoc
swarthmoredoc Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Though I consistently store my daisy wheel inside my egg with the cap on, I've just begun noticing it getting rusty (as well as my cast iron grill).

Three questions:

a. Is this just the humidity? How can I prevent this?
b. Is there anything I can do about my mildly rusty wheel and grill?

Thanks!

Bill

Comments

• DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I keep mine oiled up like cookware.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Not knowing which type you have, take it apart, wire brush and clean with peanut oil, lard or similiar oil. Put back together and then use. After each use I like to place inside the BGE when in the shutdown mode. Every now and then I place it inside for a high temp burn off.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I store my daisy most of the time in the Egg, but I've had some patchy rust show up on them. Because I still need to scrape off accumulated gunk every now and then, I scrub them with a plastic scouring pad. Altho I have considered spraying them with stove black paint, I figure that by the time the rust has made significant damage, I will be about 20 years older, and not care too much.

You might be able to reduce the rusting by wiping the daisy with mineral oil.

The grill is another matter. When iron is heated (if I remember my high school chem) it is more likely to attach to oxygen. Then as it cools, the new compound binds with water, and so there is rust. A re-heat may make the rust go away, but it will just come back.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Just wipe lightly with a little cooking oil before you put it back in the egg for the cool down. I do that once or twice a year.
    From an old Darby guy ;)
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I agree use some mineral oil - I have some I use for my wooden cutting boards... Anyways, don't think the rust is really a big problem, mine started rusting after I cleaned it by putting in the egg at high temp. While it cleaned all the gunk off, the daisy wheel started rusting, ever since. Have to admit though it works better now, it never sticks..
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 61
    Options
    We just got our Lrge BGE and I left the daisy thingie on the little plate in front of the bottom vent over night (first night we had it). Next morning there was a rust mark on the plate. That was quick :blink:

Guess I'll follow suit with the oil and store inside the BGE.

Thank you!

Rod
  • swarthmoredoc
    Options
    Thanks for the superb advice. I'll oil it tomorrow!

Bill
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - it works perfect w/a little rust.. Only oil if it bothers you..
  • Cajun Griller
    Options
    I spray my daisey wheel and grate with Pam cooking spray to prevent this almost every cook. Seems to work pretty good and keep the rust away. Good luck!
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    If your over 60 years old, a rusty daisy wheel its just part of getting older.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    OIL IT HEAVILY AFTER EVERY USE.BTW,a little rust never hurt anything,just don't let it get outta control!Wipe with oil-soaked rag or spray with stuff-n-a-can. ;)