Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a DigiQ II for Father's Day, any tips?

JackGT
JackGT Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wonderful family got me a DigiQ II and the 25CFM fan and related accessories for Father's Day. I've done plenty of low and slow cooks on my Large and am looking forward to greater peace of mind for overnight cooks and maybe some mid-week cooks. Any tips for a Guru newbie?

Comments

• I have the CyberQ but assume the DigiQ II is the same w/o the computer interface.

Set the fan damper to 1/4 open, first mark on mine and the daisy petals open the width of a round toothpick. Clip the pit probe to the BGE thermometer.

If I'm doing a low and slow at 250 dome, I let the temp get to 300 then set the guru to 250 and it will settle in and maintain 250 w/i a couple of degrees.

Good night.

--Dave
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Wow what a great gift.

And, Wow a 25 cfm blower, double wow.

My initial response was going to be "use it fast".

The q2 blowers have a air flow damper. My Viper 10 cmf blower pushes a lot of air and with my large I always have it choked off to 1/3 and sometimes less.

I have no regrets getting the 10 cfm over the 4 cfm but I am concerned getting a 25 cfm for an egg might simply be too much over kill.

Before you use it, you might want to call Fred at BBQ Guru and ask if they would exchange for a 10cfm.

Wow!!!

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    BuffaloChip - is your Blower 25 cfm? That's a lot of air movement.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Additional thoughts...

I would think an adapter for a BGE was also ordered, I wonder why someone at BBQ Guru or a store would not question or recommend a lower cfm blower.

GG
  • I have a 10cfm for my XL and cut it to 1/3 for low and slow cooks.

You probably need to exchange it.
  • JackGT
    My mother was the one who had it ordered at her local BBQ supply store, and I don't know why they recommended the 25 CFM fan. She is wonderfully oblivious to such things. Hopefully they weren't trying to just get as much $$$ out of her as they could.

I dropped a line to them asking about a) swapping fans and b) possibly upgrading the CyberQ (I'm a computer/gadget geek).
  • Grandpas Grub
    I am sure the CyberQ will be fun.

I would somehow deal with the 25 cfm blower.

Do yourself a favor. Take a minute and call the manufacturer and ask to talk with Fred Sr. or Fred Jr. Explain the situation and see what they recommend.

GG
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Nope mine is the 10cfm. Didn't read his post closely enough. They, Guru people, also tried to talk me into the 25cfm but I had researched here and talked to WessB first and had already decided on the 10. I have a large and small so didn't see the need for anything more than that.

--Dave
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Just thought I might chime in here.
    We never recomend a 25cfm blower for the BGE no matter what size. It will function just fine but will need to be dampered down to say 1/3 or 1/4 open for any low and slow cooks. The 10cfm is more than capapble of running any size egg at any temp. We do recomend the 10cfm if you will be using it for any hot cooks ie. Pizza or such. Or if you would like to get your cooker hot faster.

Please feel free to call me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Kenny "Hatch" Baker
    Operations Director
    The BBQ Guru
    800-288-4878 ext.254
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Just FYI Fred Sr. doesn't spend much time in the shop these days and Fred Jr. doesn't work for the Guru.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Didn't expect Fred Sr. to be there much, but I didn't know Fred Jr. didn't work there any more. However, it has been a long time since I got my q2 and talked with both of them.

GG
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear when talking to you all in Waldorf and that's was the reason for the 25cfm suggestion.

I am extremely happy with my CyberQ and it makes low and slow very easy. I also got exceptional support when it wouldn't connect to my computer. I received a test program and instructions how on how to set up the usb ports on my computer. It connects every time now and doesn't drop out. I know the problem was my computer and not the program. So to me you went the extra mile in customer service. I would never hesitate to recommend your product.

--Dave
  • Grandpas Grub

:) I didn't read the signature line and didn't put Hatch & BGE together. ... duh.

Thanks for the update. BTW, love the q2 and the previous support when needed. Much appreciated.

Kent
  • JackGT
    I gave Mr. Baker a call and he gave me all the good info I could have asked for. Thanks sir!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Are you keeping the 25 cmf blower?

GG