Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will a butt last?

Mr. Hyde
Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Y'all,[p]I am thinking of cooking a butt and bringing it to work one day next week (or better yet having Tonia cook one for me!). If I pull it off about 7 in the morning, wrap it in foil, and put it in a cooler with some newspaper, will it still be hot at lunch at 12:30? Am I going to give my co-workers food poisoning? [p]Thanks as always.[p]Larry[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Larry
    You should be able to hold that for 4 hours or more. If you have any doubts, leave your polder probe in the meat. Once it goes below 140, you want to consume within a couple hours.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Nature Boy,
    Good advice Chris.
    Alternately, start (and finish) an hour early. Pull that puppy and set it in a pan with some good sauce. Refrigerate and take into work and nuke when you get there (presuming you have a nuker at work).[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mr. Hyde,
    You might try pre-heating your cooler before putting the butt in it. I'm in Arizona so I just put mine out the sun for an hour or two and it's toasty warm when I need to put something in it.[p]You put some hot water in it for awhile then empty and wipe it out, in with the butt.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Mr. Hyde,[p]I've taken a few butts in to work for the gang a day or two after a cook, already pulled and right out of the fridge. Nobody seems to mind a bit. :)