Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's Pre-made Pizzas

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We made three Papa Murphy's pre-made uncooked pizzas last night (the thin crust with chicken, garlic sauce, spinach, bacon, etc.) and they were ABSOLUTELY incredible!!!!! Did first two at 425F, and then did the third at 500F (on pizza stone set on top of the plate setter. I think the hotter temp was a better cook, and came out with a beautiful dark brown crust. You put the pizzas on the stone still in the baking tray from the store, and then after about 9 minutes the crust is firm enough to loosen from the tray and slide the pizza directly onto the stone for another 9 minutes or so. Just check every few minutes. Put some cornmeal on the stone before putting the first pizza on, and it will be enough for 3 or 5 pizzas.

This weekend getting some garlic sauce and plain cheese pizzas, and adding gourmet goodies at home (doing a smoked salmon, onion and capers). I will NEVER eat pizza out of an oven again (nor will my family). We are talking about a weekly pizza night with a few neighbor families. GREAT FUN, INCREDIBLE FOOD!!! Enjoy!!! :)

Comments

• Davidg5700
    Davidg5700 Posts: 32
    Options
    I tried a couple of their pizzas on the egg. The taste was great, but I did have a slight problem with the paper tray catching on fire and burning the outer edges of the crust. :pinch:

I put the 14" pizza stone on the plate setter legs down. There largest pizzas are 16" so there is a bit of an overhang off the stone.

Did you have this happen to you?
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    No, I went with the smaller pizzas and pizza sat nicely on stone. They re so cheap with coupons we just buy an extra rather than buy the family.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    In chicago we have great pizza parlors that also sell their pizza at local markets. These include lou malnalties, Gino, Uno, Conies, Home Run. Baking their frozen pizza on the BGE come out great...hard to make home made pizzas that can top theirs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    glad you had good results. Before you sell the farm to buy stock you might want to try some other commercial pizzas available including Nick n' Willy's if there is one in your neck of the woods. I don't mean to offend you - just saying check others.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    i tried my hand at making my own doughs & pizzas this week. I loved it to death. My dough was decent and easy to work with.

The store bought pizza doughs we buy frozen are cheap (about $2 for 2 large lumps, makes about 4 pizzas) are better tasting overall but hard to work with.

its pretty darned affordable - but boy if you can get pizzas on sale or with coupons like you did there isn't anyway you can come close to that price!

I have to try some store bought pizzas on the egg soon - it sounds tasty! have you guys tried making your own pies yet?
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 94
    Options
    We do Papa Murphy's pizza on our Large BGE. Usually do the large size. The family size kind of hung over the stone and the paper tray did burn a little. We like the thin crust, too. Thanks for the tip to slide it off the paper tray for a few minutes at the end of the cook. We like Papa Fav, no olive, extra mushrooms. mmmmm' Happy Eggin'
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Will be looking for others. Unfortunately, Nick n Willy's opened a brand new store about 2 minutes from my house about 9 months ago, and I don't think they stayed open more than 45 days. Not sure if bad location or just an internal restructuring. Have heard great things about them, though - wife has tried them from another location and raved. No others making take and bake in my area. May try to find other Nick n Willys in area and give a try.

thanks for input.

Regards.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    The Papa Murphys by us all went out of business. We liked them, but they put WAAAY to much onion on their pizzas (at least, the one by us did). We asked for garlic one time and the whole thing was covered with garlic. Would have been completely inedible. But if you kept an eye on them, they came out pretty good.