Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greetings and Newbie Questions

Options
The Carrot
The Carrot Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there...[p]As of a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I picked up our Large Egg (that was paid for in a manner that most likely was an "Egg first": using a combination of gift certificates and a basic Web page on our end, our wedding was "registered" at BGE HQ. Much thanks again to Larry and crew at HQ for their flexibility ... and patience, as they likely heard "what the heck is a BGE" questions several times over. As a footnote, it looks like I've sold two more of them to a wedding guest and his father, and they haven't even seen the thing yet.).[p]Been chugging the information on the forum, the archives, and the personal web pages (which all seem to be a really *huge* selling point, in my limited experience), and have a couple of questions:[p]- I read (I think on Tim M's page) that one needs to put on the rain cap when done to ensure that the fire goes out. Is this really the case (with all tops, including the new slide/daisy)? Seems kind of funny to have to play "musical tops" in this manner.[p]- For a few reasons, this Egg is likely to turn into a "pizza monster". I've read the discussions regarding firebricks vs. plate setters, and it seems that most of the comparison centers around cost. For just pizza, is there really any ease of use difference (including keeping the edges of the pizza from becoming scorched)?[p]Thanks much...
-Ivan (aka "The Carrot")

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    The Carrot,
    Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! With a handle like that, you'll soon fit in! I never thought of using the ceramic top until the other day. When I get thru cooking' the daisy wheel gets closed, the bottom vent gets closed and I go in the house! Don' never think anything more about it! It works for me! I think Spin, Gfw and Tim M can answer your pizza questions a whole lot better than me! I'll leave that to them! I will say though, even a poorly made pizza on the Egg is better than a good one made in the oven! (that's experience talkin'!) :^)[p]Once again, welcome to the forum and a whole different world of eatin'! Sounds like you earned your Egg just trying to eggsplain it!!![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The Carrot,
    The ceramic top shuts the egg down faster and better than any of the daisies. It will become natural for you to stick the ceramic top on when you are finished. No nib deal, and if it does get rained on, the insides will stay dry.[p]I have been doing successful pizza with firebricks on their sides holding up my pizza stone. As long as the pie is smaller than the stone you shouldn't get burnt edges.[p]Hope that helps.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    The Carrot, welcome to the forum and the world of great BBQ. [p]I'd love to tell you the comparative differences between the plate setter and firebricks in making pizza. However, I have a medium BGE and there aren't any plate seters available so I have only used firebricks. I can tell you that I have tried a variety of arrangements and I comming to the conclusion that the traditional |__| (see link) approach works about the best, even for pizza.

[ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    The Carrot,
    Like one of the other posters, I just shut down all the vents and the fire goes out. The main reason that I don't replace the daisy is that it's just too darn hot and besides, I'm too busy eating.[p]As far as pizza goes, firebricks work very well with a second grill on top of the bricks and a pizza stone on top of that. I'm not sure how many use a pizza peel to get the pie on and off the Egg. I've had good success by using a 14" pizza pan. Just lay or spread the dough on it and build your pie. Then just pop it into the Egg, pan and all, and you don't have any worries about spilled pizza and the taste isn't affected at all.
    JimW

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    JimW, I use a peel, but I'm going out this weekend to look for a metal pan - sounds a lot easier - besides, it is always nice to try something different.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    The Carrot,[p]Great moniker, welcome to the forum.[p]I don't have a slide daisy top, I simply use an extra firebrick on the chimney vent while I cook. I would hate to drop that rain cap and see it shatter. Sometimes when I cook, I have a couple of barley pops to go with it. I could just see that happening. Firebricks I have literally, not figuratively, TONS of, you want them, I got 'em. They can be replaced if I "forget" to take it off. When I'm done cooking, I close the bottom vent, take the brick off and put teh rain cap back on, and forget about it.[p]I've tried several variations on how to place them on the grid for cooking, have found that the "U" setup works best for me. I've cooked a few pizzas but mainly cook calzones. In both instances, keep the crust on the pan, not over the edges, and you'll be fine.[p]Welcome again and keep us informed of your cooking ventures on the egg.[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    setters.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]Well, maybe there is a plate setter for a medium egg.[p]The picture here shows a BGE setter (dark one) and the original plate setter that ceramic shops sell. I gave the one on top to Nature Boy - maybe he can measure it and let you know if it will fit the medium.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    The Carrot,[p]Welcome to the family and forum. I too like the handle.[p]All of the BGE top vents will kill the fire when fully closed (along with the bottom vent). My experience is that the fire dies faster with the rain cap than a closed daisey top. I have not used the other caps available.[p]As long as your pizza has about a 1/2" of unoccupied pizza stone around the edges, scorching will not be a problem.[p]The BGE setter (with another pizza stone set on it) is the easiest setup to install and remove from the Egg and provides repeatable, predictable results when cooking multiple pies.[p]Three problems need to be addressed to cook pizza on your Egg. The cooking surface needs to be raised to the opening lip level to facilitate insertion and removal of the pie. Adequate mass needs to be present under the pie to insulate it from the heat of the fire (ideally, this mass should be an even thickness to avoid uneven heating of the cooking surface). Lastly, sufficient airflow through your EGG must be provided to reach cooking temperatures and then quickly regain them after a dome opening.[p]Equally great pies can also be made using firebricks as long as these needs are met. I would suggest (If you choose to use firebricks) that you employ the use of two stacked pizza stones to cook on. Then use the firebricks as spacers to raise the cooking surface. On the small Egg, I use a single firebrick (cut into thirds) to space up dual pizza stones. It cooks as well (and as many - only smaller) as the large using the setter/stone combination.[p]Feel free to email me.[p]Spin
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    The Carrot,[p] Let me be the first to invite you & your wife to the
    Eggfest2000. You will see & meet just a few of
    the folks from the forum, willing to help you along.
    Top of page,click on Waldorf MD. If you are close,come on
    down or over or up. If you can't make it, then we'll help
    you right here. Welcome!!!! [p] Earl