Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Made Sausage

ColaCooker
ColaCooker Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sausage2.jpg
<p />Here's about 5 lbs. of home made Italian sausage cooking on the Large Egg. Served with sauteed peppers, onions, zucchini and tomato on crusty Italian bread. That's comfort food.
Cola

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    ColaCooker,
    Outstanding photos of your product. The pics I see on the BGE wire are better than anything I've seen. Food products are difficult to capture.[p]Share your recipe for Italian sausage.[p]

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    ColaCooker,
    That sausage looks great. Between you and GrillMeister, I'm hankering to cook up some o' that...

• sausage1.jpg
    <p />Nessmuk,
    Making sausage is something that gets the whole family involved. We use pork butts that we debone and cut into cubes and grind. We season the meat with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes and whole anise seed. Fancy sausage (Christmas time) also includes grated orange zest. Then we cook a small patty for everyone to taste. We argue for 5 minutes, adjust the seasoning and cook another patty. We continue until we are all happy with the flavor or there's only one of us left standing; whichever occurs first. Stuff into casing and refrigerate overnight.[p]Everyone participates in the preparation and tasting. We always look forward to the 3 or 4 times a year we make sausage.[p]Cola

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    ColaCooker,[p]All I can say is,, damn...
    something else there............
    wonderful!
    send me some...
    :)

• TexEgg
    TexEgg Posts: 1
    ColaCooker,
    I see two probes in your picture. Is one for meat internal and the other for egg ambient? Are those the probes from the bbq guru? Very curious

• Wide%20Front.jpg
    <p />texegg,
    The probes are thermocouples that are part of a computer controlled fan system that I built. The picture above shows three thermocouples going into the Egg. One is used to get the temperature at the grate level, The others are for monitoring the food temperatures. The system will turn on a fan whenever the grate temperature drops below your set point. Works great.
    Cola

• BBQBeth,
    Making sausage reminds me of my childhood when my parents would make sausage every winter. We'd sit around and taste until we were all happy. My brother and I would take turns on the crank of the hand operated grinder while my parents would feed in the meat, keep pressure on the casings and tie off the links. It's the kind of tradition I'd like to pass on to my family and friends.
    Cola

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    ColaCooker:[p]Amen to homemade sausage . . . It is really nice to be able to control the ingredients and make sausage the way you like for your own taste. As my young ones get a little older I hope to involve them in this art that has almost been forgotten in the home. It is a really good excuse to bring together family and friends.[p]As a young chap, I remember that hot spicy sage breakfast sausage one of The Uncles used to make during slaughtering season. Really good, but almost too hot for my young taste buds. As my Uncle and I grew older, he could handle less of the pepper while I craved more. Although I make a similar recipe, I certainly miss the original one he made.
  • ColaCooker,
    Looks great! Good thing you didn't have the same problem RRP had with his ABTs. I wonder if Escher could draw that?

• bbqbeth
    ColaCooker,[p]Hey! I just realized you're in Columbia, S.C. I grew up there!

• ColaCooker,
    Uh oh, now you've got my interest piqued![p]Thermocouples, fans and display oh my![p]Do tell; got any more specifics on that gizmo that you'd like to share?[p]Mine is based on a Vernier LabPro, some thermocouples, an iPaq with 802.11 wireless network and a bunch of .net based software. Mine is reporting only, as I haven't done the fan yet. However it looks like you have done exactly what I thought I might try.[p]Is your fan variable speed? Do you have two draft doors, one with the fan, one solid?[p]Oohhh, I love this stuff almost as much as the egg itself! There'll undoubtedly be those that think this is some kind of cheating, but I say whatever keeps you interested, will keep you cooking.[p]Feel free to email me (sans spam filter) if you want to take this offline.[p]bc

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    ColaCooker,[p]I dabble in home sausage making when I have the time, and was wondering if you used natural or synthetic casings for the sausage in the picture...? Any particular preference from your perspective? I have only used natural casings up to now, and am wondering if there are ease of use benefits with the synthetic, collagen casings.[p]Curious to hear your thoughts.[p]Thanks,
    Rich G.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    ColaCooker, is this the unit where the plans were posted a few weeks back? If not, I'd be interested in more information if you would eMail me. Thanks.

• bc,
    Check out the link below. It has some pictures of my set up and a description of where to get the information to build it. I'm working on a version using a Linx transmitter and receiver pair to use a remote unit. It'll have an rs-232 connector so I can log the temps. on my PC. I'll post some pictures when I'm done.
    Cola

[ul][li]Archived Thread[/ul]
  • Wise One,
    Same one. See my post below for a link to the older post.
    Cola

• Rich G,
    I have only used natural hog casings. I keep them in a brine in my freezer and they last for a couple years. I don't know much about the collagen casings.
    Cola

• BBQBeth,
    I moved here in 1982 and I'll never leave. I live in the Shandon area and love it. If you haven't been to Columbia recently you'll be surprised at the changes. We actually have restaurants other than BBQ huts now.
    Cola

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    ColaCooker,[p]Thanks for the reply. I'll probably try them next time I get to grinding and stuffing. I'll try to post some results in case anyone is interested.[p]Cheers,
    Rich G.

• bbqbeth
    ColaCooker,
    I grew up in Forest Acres. I love S.C. now living in North Florida. Tallahassee area. very much like Columbia..
    Live Oaks, moss...all that good stuff! Plus the beach!
    Tell S.C. hey for me! ;-)