Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brazilian Ribs and Meal

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is my first attempt at Churrasco Styled Pork Ribs. I started with a beautiful slab of spare ribs. On Saturday night, I prepared the ribs by removing the membrane, rubbing the meat with kosher salt, pepper, two cloves of crushed garlic and some garlic powder. I put the ribs in a Ziploc and squeezed the juice of one lemon into the bag.[p]I let the ribs sit overnight and in the morning, I fired up my small BGE with a mixture of Hardwood and Mesquite Charcoal. I rolled the ribs and stood them up direct for about five hours. On a side note, I still think that for one rack of ribs, the Small BGE cooks them the best in a set it and forget it kind of way.[p]Here is the remainder of the meal; my wife, daughter and I made Brazilian rice, which was similar to Spanish rice. We also made some fried bananas with onions and breadcrumbs. This was simple and delicious. I cut up three slightly green bananas and fried them in butter until they were golden. I put them in the bowl and the fried a small onion that was cut into rings in the same butter. When the onions had browned slightly, I put the bananas back in the frying pan and sprinkled the mixture with about 1.5 tablespoons of breadcrumbs. This was a great side dish.[p]Remembering that my wife and daughter do not really like ribs, I took a boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut it up into cubes. I marinated it some kosher salt, extra-virgin olive oil a clove of crushed garlic for about two hours. This was actually a recipe I found in the Brazilian cookbook. I skewered the chicken on metal skewers and cooked it at 350 on the Medium BGE for about 25 minutes. This was my daughter’s favorite.[p]The final piece of the puzzle was a quick sauce that I made from a small chopped onion, .5 cup fresh parsley, the juice of a half lemon and some chipolte powder. I puréed the mixture let it chill for about an hour.[p]Back to the ribs, I was going to baste the ribs with some garlic salt water, but simply ran out of time. Here is the nice thing about the Small BGE and that rack of ribs; the only time that I opened the egg was to remove the ribs. They came out perfect with a nice brown color. It has been a long time since I have had spare ribs that have been simply cooked and the flavor of the pork was very noticeable. [p]Everything in the meal had simple and complimenting flavors. No one dish overpowered another. The fried bananas and parsley dipping sauce added a nice dimension. [p]The next attempt at Brazilians Churrasco is going to involve beef tenderloin and lots of Garlic.[p]Enjoy,
RhumAndJerk

Comments