Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas what happened to the bacon on my ABTs?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I made 54 ABTs - all identical with pulled pork, Philly cream cheese and wrapped in bacon - all from the same package...and of course each with a toothpick through the boat. The first batch of 27 were on indirect on a raised grid with a deflector between the fire and the ABTs...on for 45 minutes at 300°. Smoked with apple chips. Came out beautiful and the bacon stayed lapped over on top.
The second batch was same time and temp, but on all 27 the bacon ends curled back as opposed to staying lapped over on top. Wot hoppened???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP,
    you had too much to drink.........
    he hehehehe

• RRP
    Options
    Liz, actually no, but I was thinking I might call them "flashers" as they all 27 exposed their "belly". OTOH these are for my own consumption, so I won't worry about it, but if this happened while having company it wouldn't have been OK...

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    RRP,
    Ron, is it possible that your deflector plate radiated a little extra heat in the second cook do to the heat of the first cook???? I don't have a clue but it sounds like the ends got too hot. Just a long shot.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    RRP,
    Were the second batch done with Australian bacon so that they went around the other way? Ya know, sorta like the toilet flush thing... Or, maybe one batch was democrat bacon and the other was republican bacon? :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    RRP,
    Hey if I would've known you were making a bunch of ABT's we could have joined cooking forces. We had pulled pork and poppers (from the garden) Yummmmmy. My niece and husband (from Ohio) were here and man was interested in the BGE. I was told by my niece that he was talking about it this morning over breakfast. I think I forsee another egghead family enjoying eggfabulous food.

• ColaCooker
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Maybe the bacon came from a skinny pig. Skinny pig bacon is wound a little tighter around the pig and retains its shape when cooked. Whenever I get a batch of skinny pig bacon I make sure to mark the inside curl before I use it. If used in the correct orientation, skinny pig bacon will actually squeeze out a little of the cheese from ABTs. If used incorrectly you will wind up with flapping ends. Flapping ends on a piece of skinny pig are to be avoided at all costs!
    Cola ;-)

• RRP
    Options
    maddaug, and just be grateful that you and Jim learned the BGE truth as young folk! You two and kids have a whole life ahead of you!
    Now, don't think you'll be seeing me thumping on a BGE Cookbook on the city square trying to save the unknowing from eternal damnation from cooking on a gassy...8^)

• RRP
    Options
    ColaCooker, I know you meant that in humour, but I bet that was it!!! With the first batch the bacon was cold and I merely wrapped it around and then pinned it with a tooth pick. I then put that batch on and went back to finish the second batch, but since I knew it would be 45 minutes I messed around a little...I do remember now that the bacon did stretch more and that explains it!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!