Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First egg, first cook on it... nothing but smiles

Options
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my first egg last weekend. Fired it up today for my first cook. There was no question, it had to be baby backs. Always been a favorite of mine to eat, but I could never cook them right before. Well thanks to all of you here on the forums, they turned out perfectly. I used some advice from everyone, plus mixed it up a little.

Dizzy dust for rub
Big chunk of hickory (dry), but also some apple and pear wood cold soaked.
3 hours of smokin at 225 dome temp.
Spritz every hour with 50/50 apple juice & apple cider vinegar.
Took ribs off, coated them with honey, then wrapped in foil with apple juice.
(I know some people hate this, but I like my ribs tender and juicy)
Back on the egg for about 1 hour 15 minutes at 250 dome temp.
Then unwrapped, back on the egg at 275 for about 45 minutes.
Last 30 minutes with sauce (local sauce that my butcher makes)
Finally pulled them off, let them rest for about 15 minutes.
Then wife and I dug in.

They were gone sooo fast. Pulled off the bone with only a little tug. Very tender. Great smoke ring. Some of the best I've ever had. Always taste better when you spend all day doing them yourself. Total time on the egg, a little over 5 hours. Worth ever minute of it.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experiences and insights. You helped make my first cook fantastic. Which means I can't wait till next weekend. Maybe a boston butt in the future.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Glad it turned out great and welcome to the family...BTW we love pictures.... :P :woohoo:
  • DarkDreamer
    Options
    I know, I got so into it, that I forgot to take pics. I know I love looking at other peoples pics, can't believe I forgot to take my own. Next weekend for sure.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    As our buddy Big 'Un is fond of saying "at his house his family knows it is P & P before they eat....prayers & pictures...I love that one...
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Congrats. Sounds like you are hooked on the BGE fever. it only gets better as you enjoy your new baby.

Good Luck
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It only gets better :woohoo:

Also keep in mind that it best to egg on days that end in a "Y". If I had to wait till next weekend, I'd go nuts for sure.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Adam,

I agree - I get a little stir crazy if I don't egg for too long. I average 3 time a week, 4 in a good week. Between work and all the kids activities, its hard to do more than that.

When we eat off the egg, dinner is always later, but the kids love most of the food from the egg, so they are willing to wait.

Richard
    Norcross, GA
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    Why on earth would you wait til next weekend? I would think a Spatchcock chicken on Monday.. Pork tenderloin on Tuesday. Wednesday--leftover chicken breast in a nice salad.Thursday any kind of fish Friday is up to you

Then you can redo the ribs ;)

Rick in Mt.