Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye round roast

CaptainJimmy
CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local pathmark has the eyes on sale for $1.59/lb. I can steak them i guess, but are they any good? I eat so little steak because of price.

i could make a roast out of one easy i guess too..

any input is thanked in advance

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a way I like to do them.

Beef, Roast, Eye of Round, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 4 Lbs Eye of Round, leave fat cap on
    Marinade:
    MANY Cloves Garlic, Sliced into quarters
    1 Cup Burgandy Wine, Cheeper the Better
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    2-3 Tbs Black Pepper
    1-2 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1-2 Tbs BGE Green Garlic & Pepper Seasoning
    Wondra Gravy Mix

Procedure:
    1 Took a Jaccard meat tenderizer and pierced the meat several times from all sides. Then cut several pockes for the garlic slivers. Sprinkle the black pepper and BGE garlic & pepper seasoning and Then place in a gallon Ziploc bag and into the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Let sit on the counter for a few hours to warm up or as I did drop into the spa for 45 minutes @101°F. Temperature got up to 68°F.
    2 Placed in a round pan about 1 1/2 inches deep and layered slices on onions, carrots and mushrooms. Placed the roast on the top of veggies and seasoned again with black pepper and BGE garlic & pepper seasoning. Inserted thermometer horizontally into center and placed of small BGE.
    BGE Set-up:
    1 Set small BGE up indirect with applewood for smoke, bottom indirect with pan 1/2 full water for heat diffusion. 350°F. Grid, then the pan with the veggies and meat. Took the remaining marinade and added 2 packages of Au Jus gravy mix and 1 more cup of water and 1 cup of red burgandy. Filled the pan with the veggies up 2/3 and set on the BGE for about 1 1/2 hours. Pulled at 125°F, next time will pull at 120°F. Covered meat with aluminum foil and drained the veggies. Took the juices and left over marinade and added some gravy flour mix, Wondra and made the gravy. On the side did some smashed potatoes.
    2 Would have some pictures, but the ones I took were messed up by an aperature that did not fully open. Sorry no pictures this time.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish, Sandwich

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/05/01