Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RE: Archives and disk space

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, we finally did it. We filled up 350+ Meg worth of storage with messages. That's why the forum went kaputksi at about 14:15 this afternoon -- no disk space available on the server.[p]I've removed the archives for 1997 and 1998 which cleared about 50 Meg. We had 50 Meg free about 5 weeks ago! So, it probably won't take long to fill it up again. I'll have to remove more archives at that time.[p]I did save all of the archives before removing them. Is anyone interested in downloading them?[p]WMK

Comments

• Oh,
    I forgot to mention, I had to restore the board from Mindspring's backup done at 12:00 last night. We will have a lost a few messages -- my apologies -- there was no helping it.
    WMK

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p] We thank-you,for all the time you spend keeping the forum up & running. I for one would not know where to start.

Earl

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p] How big a file are we talking about here?[p]MikeO
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]As this forum has grown it does seem to chatter a lot more :-}. These earlier years posts contain a wealth of information that we do repost to this day.[p]As I don't want to lose access to the removed archives, I would appreciate the files. As a 56K user, downloading is an improbability. I can work with 250M Zip and CDROM. What do you think?[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]I can probably take those files at least for a while. I'd give a more definite statement but I'm in the process of downloading the latest version of Red Hat Linux (6.2, for those keeping score) and am planning on revamping my system in the next day or so. I have an 640 Kilobit/sec ADSL connection (the wimpiest of DSL connections, but still pretty quick) and would like to grab the files. I'll be running Apache at least for a while and would like to setup the scripts that run the BGE forum and play around for a while. I want to play around and see what I can do with the possible future outcome of hosting some sort of BGE archives locally once I get a static IP address.[p]And to get back to cooking, I made a nice little pasta dish this evening which included some sliced sausages cooked on the BGE this weekend in the sauce. Again, a simple yet very satisfying meal which had some of its roots done up on Mr Small BGE.[p]Providing geeky chatter,
    Cornfed

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]Hi,[p]I posted a message this morning looking for average cooking times. On the list it is message 63. There are two replies but my message and the two replies are not the correct text. It is the text on the archivey and disk space. Can this be corrected?[p]THANKS for your help
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]I'll go one better :)[p]While I don't have 50+ megs of server space setting around anywhere, I would be quite willing to download the whole mess & burn a CD for anyone interested.[p]I'll throw in the disclaimer, since I don't know what kind of numbers this could turn out to be, postage & a buck for the CD would be appreciated...[p]Kevin

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]I still have to think that dumping all the archives is going to be the only recourse in short time - or pay for more space on the server and I know that is not apt to happen. If we put a total effort into the recipes (combine the 2 and add to it) we would not need the acrhives. The forum has become so active that it only takes a few minutes to get help sometimes. No need to visit old files for help. And if the recipes were up to date - no need to look in the archives for them.[p]I would be happy to help if I could. [p]Tim
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,[p]Where can I download them from? Those times are remembered like favorite childhood memories, and I'd hate to lose them.[p]For the record, if anyone is counting, my vote would be to throw out recent archives rather than the oldest ones. Keep new messages, say, for 3 months, then ditch them. A floating 3 month (or however long) archive would allow people to look up stuff they remember was posted recently, without your having to retain the huge volume of messages for eternity. By the way, burning a CD of the messages before throwing them out might be something BGE would be interested in -- otherwise, once they are gone, they are gone forever.[p]Brant
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Brant,
    I agree the archives are valuable. All of them.[p]Just curious, hard drive space is very inexpensive these days, and I am wondering about the 350 megs currently in use. Could a larger hard drive be used?? or is the 350 meg limit associated with something else??[p]Just wondering out loud if there might be a solution to keep all of the valuable archives without too much of a hassle for our kind new Webmaster. There are LOADS and LOADS of great information shared by all.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Brant,
    I agree the archives are valuable. All of them.[p]Just curious, hard drive space is very inexpensive these days, and I am wondering about the 350 megs currently in use. Could a larger hard drive be used?? or is the 350 meg limit associated with something else??[p]Just wondering out loud if there might be a solution to keep all of the valuable archives without too much of a hassle for our kind new Webmaster. There are LOADS and LOADS of great information shared by all.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    McKevin,
    Thanks for that offer. At least it is good to know there will be copies of it around. Pretty valuable stuff.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    WebMasterKinder,
    As Nature Boy said earlier, hard disk space is cheap. I think a 20 gig drive is only around $200. Is there a constraint imposed by the operating system on the size of drive it can handle?
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JimW,
    Maybe it is hard drive space that is rented from the server. In that case, maybe we could rasie the money quickly to pay for a year or two of a couple hundred more megs. I would definitely donate funds to keep the archives going.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, sounds like a winner - count me in.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Brant, I also agree! The old archives are the basic foundation of the forum. It's where the old steel was forged and the marriage of BGE and the public was consumated.
    Most of the postings from the time of Bills passing haven't done much except echo the past. Bill spent a great deal of time editing out the non essential posts prior to archiving to save the storage space. It didn't take long for us thread builders to overcome those conservative efforts. [p]