Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg questions

hutchybones
hutchybones Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for some advice. I'm planning to buy my first egg and can't decide whether to go with the large or extra large.

Comments

• Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    I just bought a large about a month ago, really enjoy it. Looked at the exl but thought it was too big. Besides it would probably use more lump. My large can do anything I need it to. Have done 2 10lb butts and could use a extender to cook 2 more.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ask yourself how many people you will be serving. 2 - 3 - 4, or a whole party? XLs are quite big, and can support catering jobs. For the about the same price, you could get a large and a small, and be able to easily cook at 2 different temperatures.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Cooking for 2-8 .... Large
    Cooking for 10-30 .. Ex-large
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    The XL is the only egg I don't have but I have been on the forum for some time and have read many post. Unless you're cooking for a very large group of people I would go with the large.

That was my very first egg & is my favorite.

Nuff said.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • First I will ask following questions.
    1. On average how many people do yo cook for?

2.How often would you large cooks? By large I mean 6 or more boston Butts or 2 Packer briskets at a time?

3. How often do you entertain or have parties?

I have an XL and a large and use the large for most cooks and can fit a large amount of food on it. I do frequent large cooks where the XL is just the ticket.
  • If I was only getting one egg I would get a large. For about the same price as an xl you could get a large and a small. Two differents cooks going at two different temps.
  • Congrats and Welcome to the club,

I vote for a large. To me it is the perfect size. I have cooked 4 #9 butts on it and they were great. I've seen other pictures of even more butts on a large. Anyway, I fed a pretty decent size New Years Party. As a matter of fact I am likely going to buy my second Large so I can do multiple temps or cooks (Hors d'œuvres during a long cook or double my output, etc...)

No picture of my 4 butts but here is one with 3..

20080101%203%20Butts.JPG
  • Thanks for all the replies! Excellent info. I had really decided on an XL but sounds like a large will be the ticket. One other ?: Do you need more lump (how much more) to cook only 2 or 3 steaks on an XL vs. a large?
  • Tough question - you need to find someone with a L and an XL to confirm.

My bet is that they are both pretty efficient and you may use a little more lump in an XL just to bring it up to temp. Note that you don't need a huge amt of lump to cook a steak since they cook so quick even though you cook them pretty hot... Actually I cook my steaks using a Spider and a cast iron grate that puts the steaks lower in the egg closer to the coals for a good sear... All sorts of fun accessories you can buy for your egg..

This is a pic of an adjustable rig and a Spider. It was the first time I used the either so they look pretty clean. Look at the mambo steaks!

20080920%20Steaks%20on%20New%20Spider.jpg
  • My XL will hold a whole 10# bag of lump My large hill hold just over half of a 10# bag. How many people do you normally cook for?
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    How often do you use a 10# bag of Lump at one time ? Do you put that much every time you use the XL ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • No, but it will hold it no problem. It takes a week or so to go through a 10# bag on the XL depending on how I am cooking. Pizzas can go through some lump pretty fast at 500*.
  • "everyday" cooking for four. I like to do cooks for 8 once a month or so. Occasionally I'll do burgers or with an egg I'd do brisket or butts for up to 25.
  • No matter what I cook I most always will top off with fresh lump unless I have a really quick cook and there is enough lump.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I just bought a large in April, I can do anything on it. I did a rack of ribs two pork loins and 4 baked potatoes it held everything. I will be getting another large just to bake on and do sides. I want a clean egg none with smoking wood in it. You will love your egg.

Patti
    Wichita, KS :cheer:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    had a large for 2-3 years and never really liked to heat it up for a steak or two, so got a small in '06 and now do steaks there all the time. Have done 4 14-16 oz porterhouses on the small and works for me.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I have a XL and a large,the large is great for most cooks but for larger cooks you will need the XL.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I would go for a Large & Small Egg combo...

This past weekend I cooked an 9 1b boston butt @ 250 dome temp from 3pm Sat to 8am Sunday morning. My wife wanted chicken for dinner and I had the small to do the cook for dinner. Also, I have a mini egg too :woohoo: Anyway, at thanksgiving I did a 10 1b turkey on the small and did a 12 lb turkey on the large. I used pecan wood on one turkey mixed with the lump. On the other turkey I did apple wood mixed with the lump. They both were fantastic :side:

If you want the XL go for it ;) What ever makes you happy :P All my eggs do a great job!!! NO WORRIES
  • I'm likin' the combo idea more and more - maximizes the versatility (one big reason the Egg makes sense in the first place!) The only really big cooks I would do would be burgers/dogs/brats and those are easy enough to keep warm off the grid.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Here's the math the XL has 452 cu.inches of grill area,the large has 255 cu.inches of grill area that a difference of 197cu. inches. The medium has 177cu. inches of grill area, the difference between the large and the medium is only 78 cu. inches. If you added the Large and the medium together it would still not equal the XL total grill area. Go XL you won't be sorry.
    FireWalker
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I don't think you will have any problems keeping the food warm off the grid... I use this revolutionary thing called aluminum foil :laugh: Anyway, I don't think you will go wrong with any size egg ;) I am partial to the three I have :silly:

I AM EGG-Cited for you getting egg(s)
    Give us an update soon :)