Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nix on the corn meal?

Options
Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I recall somebody stating not to use corn meal on the pizza stone? If not, what do you suggest?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]Cornmeal is only used to help the unfinished pie (raw dough) slide off the peel (or whatever takes the pizza to the Egg) and onto the pizza stone. Cornmeal is not necessary for the cook of the pie. Once cooked, the pizza will slide easily on its own. Any cornmeal added to the stone will add a gritiness and/or burnt flavor to the finished pizza.[p]Spin

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p] That was Char-Woody. I use it also & have not had a problem
    yet. First thing in don't let the dough get too warm.
    can't help with anything else to use, sorry.[p] Earl

• Nu-Guy
    Options
    Earl,
    Thanks Earl. P.S. made some of your rub this afternoon for future use. :)

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p] You must mean Elder's rub. I hope you did not make up my
    rub. I made a mistake one night & instead of using JJ.s
    rub from the fridge, I covered my beautiful brisket with
    some our cats powdered food supplement, Barb leaves that in the fridge also. Fortunately i picked up on my mistake before we cooked it. Brings a new meaning to the word bris-cat. Hee Hee[p] Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Earl... I thought I as the only one that did things like that!

• Nu-Guy
    Options

Earl,
    Yup, Elder is what I ment.

• Eponda
    Eponda Posts: 21
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    An alternative to cornmeal is semolina, the same stuff used for pasta making. I use it on my peel and also occasionally in the dough, replacing 25% of the flour in the recipe. It is less gritty than cornmeal, and works well for transferring pizza or bread dough from the peel to the stone. The cornmeal I use is a fairly course grind so it can be a hazard to my dental work if baked to a crisp. I can usually find semolina in the pasta section at the market or at natural food stores.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    It's a preference thing. I don't use it, I use a liberal dusting of flour and sometimes rice flour. Some people like semolina flour. As Spin says, cornmeal adds a grittiness and often burns.[p]Mary