Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about the Small BGE

bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing a small to use for tailgating this football season. A few questions:[p]-How long does it take to cool down (enought to transport inside an SUV) after cooking?[p]-Give me some examples of what (and how much) you can fit on it. (ie wings, burgers, ABTs, steaks, sausages)[p]-Any ideas for good tailgating food for a small group (8-10)?[p]-Does it need to be taken apart for travel, or can I just seatbelt it in?[p]-What are some of the must-have accessories that I wouldn't already have for my large?[p]Any other pertinent info would be appreciated![p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    bigmikej,[p]Just bought a small. Love it for cooks for just the wife and me. So far I've done spatchcock chicken (fits one), ABTs (I'm sure you could do enough for 8-10 people, especially with a double level grid), NY strips (probably fit four or so comfortably), and a 3.5 lb beef tenderloin. I bet you could probably fit 8 burgers, although I haven't done those on it yet.[p]If you do something high temperature you're probably looking at a couple of hours for cool down, so the length of a football game should give you plenty of time.[p]As far as transport, I find that seat belts work great![p]TRex

• TRex
    3384544723232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3238%3E736%3E88%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324%3A%3B68477%3Anu0mrj
    <p />Here's the picture I meant to post.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    TRex,[p]Click it or Ticket. Looks like you're safe.[p]Is that Papa Egg, Mama Egg, & baby Egg on the way to Eggtoberfest?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    GrillMeister,[p]Well, this was on the way to the in-laws, which is a different type of "fest."[p]This was moving day for my wife and I - we're living with her parents while our house is being built.[p]TRex
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    bigmikej,
    I've been pondering much the same in the way of cool down times. What do you think of shutting it down, placing on a concrete stepping stone and leaving in the back of an SUV during the game to cool down. Think there's much danger in that?

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Shelby,
    I wouldn't. i have seen pictures of some guy who had pushed his charcoal grill under his truck to cool down during the game. He came back from the game and his car was nothing but a blackened steel frame. i was just thinking of chaining it to something immoveable??

• TRex,[p]Don't take any guff from your in-laws while you are mooching off them. Let them know you are your own man. They will respect you for it, believe me.[p]Don't take my word for it, feel free to ask any of my three ex-wives.