Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Churrasco

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My cookbooks arrived yesterday. Here are three of the recipes that interested me the most. I have not tried them yet.[p]Let me know if anyone tries these recipes and how they turn out.
RhumAndJerk[p]From The Art of Brazilian Cookery by Dolores Botafogo[p]Rio Grande Churrasco[p]This recipe is for a large quantity of barbecue. You may use a variety of meats, such as beef tenderloin, some ribs of lamb or even a whole lamb, cleaned and divided into large pieces, leg of lamb, ribs of beef or veal. The meat should be the best quality and tender.[p]10 to 15 pounds of meat
.5 cup salt
6 clove of garlic, finely mashed
3 cups of hot water[p]... Spread the Meat on the grill, but do not let the pieces touch. When the meat begins to brown, baste with the following: dissolve the salt in the hot water and add the garlic. Keep on basting until the meat is cooked. If you should run out of the basting liquid before the meat is cooked, prepare a little more. The meat should not be too close to the fire, or it may burn before it is cooked through. The Garlic optional, but even those that do not care for Garlic will find that it gives a delicate extra flavor[p]Sao Paulo Churrasco[p]2 pounds Beef Tenderloin
3 teaspoons Salt
Juice of two Lemons
.25 teaspoons pepper
1 dash dried hot pepper
1 large onion, Chopped
.5 cup parsley[p]Marinate the meat overnight in the juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper. Barbecue the Meat, turning frequently. Server with a sauce made from the juice of the remaining lemon, the hot pepper, the onion and parsley.[p]Minas Churrasco[p]2 pounds Beef Tenderloin
Juice of 1 Lemon
3 teaspoons of Salt
1 clove of Garlic, minced[p]Marinate the meat overnight in the lemon juice, salt and garlic. The next day, proceed as for Sao Paulo Churrasco.[p]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Interesting recipes, Mike. The post about the Fogo de Chao garlic beef awhile back intrigued me and I have done a couple experiments. The most successful one was a sirlion tip roast I did last week. It would have been perfect, I think, except my cooking plans kept getting interrupted. I marinated the whole roast in a brine consisting of a ¼ cup of salt and a ¼ cup of garlic powder with enough water to cover the roast. I had intended to brine for 2 days, but it ended up being 5. The roast came out wonderful after cooking at 350° indirect to an internal temp of 140°. The only problem was that it was a little too salty. Nice, mild garlic flavor, though. All in all, it is something I will definitely do again. 4 people, 3 lb. roast, gone in 20 minutes. Would have made killer sandwiches! See you at Fogo in Hotlanta!![p]Jim
  • RhumAndJerk,
    The last couple of days have found me discussing this very technique with a Brazilian friend of mine. Interesting timing![p]I noticed these recipes all call for a brine-like soaking of the meats, whereas my friend mentioned another technique. In this one you simply pack as much coarse sea salt as you can on the outside of the meat, cook it on a metal spit, and just before serving, you whack it a good one and knock most of the salt off.[p]The idea is that the salt not only seasons the meat a bit, but draws some of the moisture to the surface as well.[p]Haven't tried this specific method yet, but I've been skewering my steaks for a while now, just so I can maximize my crust area.[p]I'll certainly be trying this and the recipes you posted, keep 'em coming![p]Bc