Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Vent/Neck

Options
Marauder777
Marauder777 Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, after not having used the BGE for 3 weeks (house being painted, Egg stored inside, SLOW painters), I rolled it out and fired it up tonight for some salmon.

Temps up to 300, nothing unusual. After cooking, I go to take the DFMT off, and the entire ceramic ring came off inside it.

I do not have a habit of tapping on the DFMT, and have not had problems with it sticking in the past. I'm at a loss as to how this could have happened!

I'm tempted to contact my local dealer/mothership, but just as tempted to not say anything and get some high-temp adhesive.

And, before you look... I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to wash the Egg. :blush: I didn't realize how dirty it was until after looking at the pictures!

Broken1.jpg

Broken2.jpg

Advice?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    This issue is for your dealer and or BGE Service. You have the pictures so phone them tomorrow and see what they will/can do for you.

GG
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    That sounds like and looks like a warranty issue to me. I would get it replaced one way or another.
  • Marauder777
    Options
    Thanks guys (or gals). An email has been sent to my local distributor to get the ball rolling.

I did some searching and haven't seen any instances of this problem cropping up before. Anyone ever hear of this happening?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and make a phone call to BGE Service.

GG
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I would not wait for your dealer to get a e-mail, IMHO I would call today to the Mother Ship and let them know what happen and also tell them you can send pictures. I am sure they will be able to move a little faster then your dealer. Good Luck let us know how you make out.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    How often does this happen, is it rare or common, my experience contacting dealer was a waste of time.

good luck let us know what happens.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Excluding domes falling out of the bands, eggs falling off decks or eggs tipping over, it's the first I have heard of in over 2 years. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the first ever.

GG
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    The great thing about BGE is the warranty call Bruce at BGE He will cordinate with the dealer for replacement.
    FireWalker
  • Marauder777
    Options
    I left a message on Bruce's voicemail around 8:30AM EST with my contact info. So far no response.

My local dealer responded and is letting me know they are in contact with their distributor to find out what can be done.

I will update for future developments.
  • Marauder777
    Options
    I spoke with Bruce this morning, and he said he's only ever heard of this happening once in the entire time he's been with BGE.

Not sure exactly what causes it, but guessing that the DFMT was too tight and the expansion of both the metal and ceramic would build up pressure and have to be released somewhere.... the bottom edge of the DFMT was that somewhere.

This is something that will be covered in the warranty, I will just need to go through my local dealer.

In the meantime, I'm going to JB Weld the top back on and continue smokin (after, of course, I CLEAN the Egg!).

Great product, great customer service, great company. Not often I get to say that!!